Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod shuffle not showing in iTunes

Im unable to see my new iPos shuffle in iTunes. It can easily see my iPhone, but not my iPod Shuffle. Any suggestions? Thank you.

iPod shuffle, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Dec 4, 2015 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2015 6:48 AM

Make sure the connector on USB docking cable is fully inserted into the shuffle's headphones jack, as shown in this document

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203407

The fit can be tighter than expected, especially when brand new.

If that's not the problem, does the tiny light on the shuffle do anything when you connect it? If it does, describe what it does (color, flashing, solid...) immediately after connecting.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2015 6:48 AM in response to Bjornster12

Make sure the connector on USB docking cable is fully inserted into the shuffle's headphones jack, as shown in this document

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203407

The fit can be tighter than expected, especially when brand new.

If that's not the problem, does the tiny light on the shuffle do anything when you connect it? If it does, describe what it does (color, flashing, solid...) immediately after connecting.

Dec 5, 2015 6:52 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thank you Kenichi! I was able to fully insert the cable into the headphone jack, and the iPos Shuffle showed up. I must have made this mistake yesterday. Do you know why the iPod is not yet showing as authorized device or does that happen automatically? I also added a podcast as one of the playlist on the ipod, however it will only playlists with regular music, not the podcast playlist.

Thank you again. Bjorn

Dec 5, 2015 2:14 PM in response to Bjornster12

Do you know why the iPod is not yet showing as authorized device or does that happen automatically?

I don't understand the question? If the iPod appears in iTunes and you can load songs on it, there is no "authorization" to use it. Are you referring to a message that comes up saying you need to authorize your computer?

however it will only playlists with regular music, not the podcast playlist.

That can be confusing... If you just play the shuffle, it is playing from the main All Songs list. Podcasts are not songs, so they do not play from that list. The current shuffle has a feature called VoiceOver, which you use to select other lists to play from. If you load podcasts on the shuffle, the episodes of each podcast are grouped together and considered a separate playlist. If you load an audiobook, it is also a playlist on the shuffle. And you can also load your own playlists of songs (that you created in iTunes); for example, a list of songs for exercising.

Then, you use VoiceOver on the shuffle to select the playlist you want to use. This document explains how to enable and use VoiceOver

iPod shuffle (4th generation): Enabling and using VoiceOver - Apple Support

ipod shuffle not showing in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.