Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gray screen with white text need to restart computer hold down power button error

my iMac would not boot. It starts with a gray screen with white text saying "you need to restart your computer, hold down the power button, then press the power button." It has other languages saying the same thing. This happens every time I power on the computer. Nothing else.

I Tried command option r for the recovery and that didn't work. I also tried the command option p r keys and that didn't work.

please help me get my iMac running again.

Best regards.

Posted on Dec 5, 2015 2:51 PM

4 replies

Dec 6, 2015 8:15 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

I Followed your links but my problem exceeds them. The kernel panic is constantly there no matter what I try. In fact recently I did a NVPRam reset and my iMac wouldn't stop chiming. Then I got a blinking question after I did a command option r p and then it went to a white screen. I tried the shift button nothing happens. I tried the option r and nothing happens goes right back to the kernel panic. I'm confused as to what else to do.

Dec 6, 2015 11:32 AM in response to Ipaduser367

If you are still under warranty and/or have AppleCare, call them. Let them deal w/it.

Onsite service

Onsite service is available for desktop computers if you have AppleCare. You need to request this service from a supervisor and/or go through Customer Relations.

OOW: Take your Mac to your local Apple Store or an AASP. Diagnostic testing is FREE!

Other OOW options:

How to save money on Mac repairs with your credit card’s extended warranty

User uploaded file

Gray screen with white text need to restart computer hold down power button error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.