Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Networking PPC to Intel?

I have a MacBook Pro running 10.7.5. I have a G5 running 10.5.8. In past I have had no trouble networking Macs with different systems, including Classic and OSX. But, these two refuse to see each other when I "connect to server" from either machine.

Seems to me that if the older system can connect with a PC it should have no trouble connecting with an Intel Mac. Am I missing something?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G5 dual processor, audio editor

Posted on Dec 5, 2015 11:58 PM

11 replies

Dec 6, 2015 7:08 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks

I visited the Sharing and Network preferences on the G5. Everything was set correctly, and I didn't change anything. For some reason I can connect tonight. I couldn't connect last night. Most curious.

I connected from the 10.7.5 laptop to the G5. Curious to see if it works in the other direction. I know that when networking to Classic, the OS 9 Mac must be the server.

Dec 8, 2015 6:12 PM in response to BDAqua

The original problem turned out to be a failing router. I replaced that today.

Still I can only connect with the G5 as the server. When I try to connect from the G5 the network shows the MacBook Pro, but the connection fails. Might be the same situation as networking between OS X and OS 9, the later machine understands the old one, but not the other way round.

Doesn't much matter, I'm only transferring files.

Dec 9, 2015 2:23 PM in response to BDAqua

Can't say what might be going on. When I click Browse nothing shows up. I tried entering the IP address of the Mac Book. After some time I got a message that....."Some data in (address) could not be read or written. Error code -36".

The connection works just fine if made from the Mac Book to the G5 as the sever, and the Mac Book appears under Shared in the sidebar of the Finder window on the G5. But, I cannot connect to the Mac Book as the server. This happens regardless of which user is logged in on the G5 (former user has some sort of anti-virus, I do not.)

Dec 9, 2015 3:53 PM in response to scuzball

There's 2 kinds of -36 errors...

Well, in pure Apple File System talk... -36 ioErr I/O error (bummers)

Not very helpful, but generally means a Drive quit being Readable or Writable since starting the operation...

http://fuzzy.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/ioerror-36/

The other one has to do with SMB/Windows Sharing... in Sys Prefs>Sharing>File Sharing>Options..., is AFP checked? SMB?

Dec 10, 2015 3:26 PM in response to scuzball

That worked. There are now two icons under Sharing on the G5. One is the laptop by model, the other is by my name. That one works now.

I need to fire up the old G4 to join the fun.

Then comes the real fun. I have an old 8100 running 7.5.5 and an Ethernet transceiver. Is there any chance that it can join this network? I have a lot of audio files on SCSI drives on that Mac.

Thanks

Dec 10, 2015 3:33 PM in response to scuzball

Great to hear! 🙂

"Mac OS X 10.4 and later don't support Personal File Sharing (or other AFP) over Appletalk, though by initiating the connection from the opposite direction you could still achieve an IP connection from a Mac OS 7, 8, 9 computer to a sharing Mac OS X computer. The Network preference pane in Mac OS X 10.4 and later still offers the AppleTalk checkbox, but it is for browsing AppleTalk-advertised resources and zones. The subsequent connection must be over TCP/IP."

Dec 10, 2015 4:36 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes, I have networked with OS 9 as the server. I hope my old transceiver still works.

I'll need to build a different extension set for the 8100. That Mac was only used as an audio editor. No other extensions than those needed for that purpose are in the default extension set.

The closest that Mac ever came to a "network" was a stack of external SCSI drives.

Networking PPC to Intel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.