Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference between Seagate Backup Plus and Time Machine?

Can anyone tell me what the diff is between Backup Plus and Time machine?

I started and the following screen showed up (see below). Does this mean that Seagate Backup Plus will replace Time Machine? Or does it supplement TM?

I'm afraid that if I select "Use as Backup Disk" I might regret it...so I'd like to understand.

Thx

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Actually version 10.9.3

Posted on Dec 6, 2015 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2015 11:14 AM

Seagate Backup Plus is a brand name for a Hard Drive

Time Machine is backup software, that can be used with a Seagate Backup Plus.

10 replies

Dec 7, 2015 10:25 AM in response to beth917

Time Machine is only software — it is not (cannot) backing up your data, unless you have an external hard drive attached to your Mac.

Backup Plus is an external hard drive. Time Machine will backup your data onto the Backup Plus, if you say "Yes."

The Seagate drive also comes with its own automatic backup software for PCs, but on a Mac you should use your Mac's Time Machine software to do this job.

If you want automated regular backups to an external hard drive, and you aren't already using another external hard drive, click "Yes" — this will be the first time you are backing anything up.

Difference between Seagate Backup Plus and Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.