Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s working with black-blank screen?

Hi all ( iPhone 5s 32gb,past warranty, protected with mophie juice pack plus, screen undamaged, OS update status unknown )

Was checking my eMails as always when I clicked through to a Amazon website it seem'd to struggle a little displaying an image from the browser then the screen went blank, the phone itself appears to be working fine as there's the tell tale white bleed through you always get around the corners when there's a full black screen, holding down the home button activates voice function siri talks but screen always stays blank when connected to iTunes it prompts me to enter passcode to connect phone vibrates to indicate that it's connected, have attempted a restart and forced restart iPhone seems to go through the motions but screen remains blank with the normal lcd bleed through, should I do a remote factory reset with find my iPhone.

EDIT: Just as I write this I removed iPhone from connected usb charger and the screen came to life briefly and I've entered my passcode before the screen went blank again iTunes it syncing device now, what does it all mean?

iPhone 5s

Posted on Dec 6, 2015 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2015 2:46 AM

To find out if this is hardware related, connect in recovery mode and set it up as new device, without using the backup afterwards. Setup the personal settings manually. If the screen works after that, use the backup to restore.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iOS device

If the problem comes back, settings on the phone can cause this. Did you also check, if the proximity sensor on top of the screen is covered by any kind of protective film?

Is the zoom function enabled? Check by double tapping the screen with three fingers, this will disable the zoom feature.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2015 2:46 AM in response to crestfa11en

To find out if this is hardware related, connect in recovery mode and set it up as new device, without using the backup afterwards. Setup the personal settings manually. If the screen works after that, use the backup to restore.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iOS device

If the problem comes back, settings on the phone can cause this. Did you also check, if the proximity sensor on top of the screen is covered by any kind of protective film?

Is the zoom function enabled? Check by double tapping the screen with three fingers, this will disable the zoom feature.

Dec 7, 2015 3:05 PM in response to Ingo2711

I have just connect in recovery mode and set it up as new device I haven't backup afterwards as instructed as for (Setup the personal settings manually) I'm not sure there was such option on iTunes that I could see, screen remains blank but phone has been unlocked, there's no protective film on my iPhone.

Would this all indicate that there is a hardware fault, what is my next step fingers-x-crossed no expensive repair job?

Dec 7, 2015 10:26 PM in response to crestfa11en

Yes, if installing the firmware again did not bring your screen back to life, this must be hardware related.

The phone has to be serviced by visiting an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Apple Service Provider next to your place.

You can also contact Apple Support to send it in.

Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider

iPhone - Contact Support - Apple Support

Dec 8, 2015 2:45 AM in response to Ingo2711

Out of warranty it's simply not worth the repair cost at least not there in the UK Vat + 5min time of qualified service provider + parts = £50/$74+ think I'll be hitting the Ifixit forums to try and fix this already have an account.

My sincere thanks for all your time, I seem to have better luck with android phones think I'll be sticking to them in future.

Dec 8, 2015 3:11 AM in response to crestfa11en

You're welcome 🙂

Replacing the screen in the UK would be around £ 107, and getting a refurbished, new device £ 207.

If you decide to fix this yourself, and this does not work, Apple will not give you these options for your device anymore.

Good Luck in any case.

1. iPhone Screen RepairRepair and replacement costs depend on your iPhone model and your AppleCare product coverage. Accidental damage isn't covered under the Apple One Year Limited Warranty.When you request screen repair online or by phone, Apple will place an authorization on your credit card to cover the iPhone out-of-warranty service cost shown below in the Out-of-Warranty Service section. This is the cost for replacing the screen and fixing any additional damage. We'll charge this amount if your iPhone is eligible for out-of-warranty service and our diagnostic test shows additional damage. If your iPhone has no damage other than the screen, we'll charge the screen repair service fee.
    Model Screen repair service fee
    iPhone 6 £ 86.44
    iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s,
    iPhone 5c, iPhone 5
    £ 106.44
    iPhone 6s Plus £ 126.44
    The screen repair service fee includes a £ 7.44 shipping fee. All fees are in British pound sterling and include VAT. Pricing applies only to screen repair by Apple.
  2. Out-of-Warranty ServiceIf you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for out-of-warranty (OOW) service, Apple will service your iPhone for the out-of-warranty service fee listed below.Please note out-of-warranty repair service fees from your carrier may be different than those listed below.
    Model Out-of-warranty service fee
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6 Plus £ 256.44
    iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 £ 236.44
    iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c,
    iPhone 5
    £ 206.44
    iPhone 4s £ 156.44
    iPhone 4 £ 126.44
    The out-of-warranty service fee includes a £ 7.44 shipping fee, which applies only if service is arranged through Apple and requires shipping. All fees are in British pound sterling and include VAT. iPhone out-of-warranty service may also be available from your wireless carrier. Pricing may vary.

copied from Service Answer Center - iPhone /U.K.

iPhone 5s working with black-blank screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.