Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook chat no longer works in Messages

Sometime ago I created a Facebook chat jabber account, so that my FB chats would show up in Messages. It's been working fine, but I don't use FB chat much.

I noticed after a restart today that this account was offline and, when I tried to set my status to 'Available', it asked for the password. This is actually your FB password and I changed my FB password a little while ago, allowing Safari to create a new one, so I opened Keychain access and copied the latest Facebook password, and pasted it into the dialogue in Messages. It brought up this dialogue: 'Messages can’t log in to <FBusername>@chat.facebook.com because your login ID or password is incorrect.' I tried a few times with no luck.

I eventually logged into FB and changed my password, again allowing Safari to create new one. I then restarted the computer and again tried to put my FB chat messages account online, this time copying the new password from Keychain Access, but again got the same message.

I then went into Messages' accounts preferences and disabled the old FB chat account and created a new Jabber account using '<FBusername>@chat.facebook.com' as the username and the new FB password, but this account also failed to log in when I tried to put it online.

To make sure the password wasn't the problem, I logged into FB on my iPhone with the new password (via Settings>Safari>passwords). No problem.

To try something different, I went into System Preferences/Internet Accounts and deleted both of the FB chat Jabber accounts, and created a new one there. This account shows up in Messages as it should, but it also fails to log in with the FB password. All I get is: 'Messages can’t log in to <FBusername>@chat.facebook.com because your login ID or password is incorrect.'

And now I'm totally stumped. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve = : ^ )

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Windows XP & 8.1 in Parallels 11

Posted on Dec 6, 2015 5:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2015 5:48 AM

Sadly, I think Facebook killed the access for third party chat programs like our beloved Jabber. This thing started back in May - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/04/facebook-chat-api-empathy-pidgin-stop-working

I hope I'm wrong because I hate using their stupid messenger through Safari 😟

11 replies

Jan 13, 2016 2:16 PM in response to ardoslav

Oddly, this problem started for me early in 2016, but I don't use FarceBook if I can help it so I may have just missed it. Another reason to tell people if they want to keep in touch they'll need to send me something I can SMS to consistently.

Oh, and avoid Zuckerberg's Folly. Time for people to realize that he's not doing them any favors.

Jan 17, 2016 1:31 PM in response to VJ Kharisma

Hi,

It was until Facebook pulled the plug on Facebook Chat.

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/chat

It is unclear if it was the fact people could chat with non Facebook users or the fact it required two Facebook IDs to do so which needed two logins on different pages.

There could be a host of reasons really.

It seems more likely that Facebook were aiming to be more integrated themselves.

User uploaded file

9:30 pm Sunday; January 17, 2016

​  iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Aug 11, 2016 11:58 AM in response to tadatitam

Yep,

That was the Solved Answer posted Dec 2015

Restated by myself with a Facebook Link on the 17th Jan 2016. (the link still works)

As Errol is the only person that can award the Solved and the Helpfuls I think he has the info he needs.

User uploaded file

7:58 pm Thursday; August 11, 2016

​  iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Aug 12, 2016 12:43 PM in response to Erroll

Hi,

No.

I was just pointing out to the latest poster to join the thread that the answer they gave had already been given and that was back in Dec 2015.

Sometimes newer posters can find a Topic and forget to check the date (or the Solved Tick) when they have found an answer themselves and try to pass it on by searching for Titles.

If you are new here it can take a while to find your way around. (If you are aiming on being a Helper).

Unfortunately the point based system of Solved (10 Points) and Helpfuls (5 Points) (and the apparent 4 points for a Question) and the Apple Recommended (7) that Apple use here also play a part.

User uploaded file

8:43 pm Friday; August 12, 2016

​  iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Facebook chat no longer works in Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.