Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete com.apple.backupd.backupVerification?

The com.apple.backupd.backupVerification fileis taking up several GBs on my hard drive. I use the Airport Time Capsule for my TM backups (I just double checked that TM is configured to do this).

And no, TM is not currently running a back up, so this can't be a temp file.

Can I safely delete this file?

Posted on Dec 6, 2015 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2015 1:31 PM

Please hold down the option key and select Verify Backups from the TM menu in the menu bar (not the Dock icon.) This operation may take a long time. If the menu-bar icon (a clock that runs backwards) isn't showing, check Show Time Machine in menu bar in the preferences. Is the item deleted?

2 replies

Dec 18, 2015 2:16 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have a similar situation - but the verify step suggested above didn't result in the huge file being deleted. If it's relevant, there are two different backup disks are in the Time-machine - could this relate to fact the other is no longer in active operation? also this machine was set up from migration after an earlier laptop failed.. so not all may be in normal state.

Coming back to the general question, so we can understand the issues better, can anyone say

- what is this bundle for? (clearly something to do with Time machine sync/verify)

- will it be safely re-created if deleted and if it's subsequently needed?

I'm unable to apply an update due to lack of space and this appears to be a straightforward way of reclaiming the space if deletion is possible and if it's a marker of something having gone wrong in the distant past (as opposed to my current backups).

Cheers,

Martin

Can I delete com.apple.backupd.backupVerification?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.