Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i Bind windows pc to OS X SERVER 5 Open Directory

Hi there, I would like to know if any one was able to bind Windows PC to OS X SERVER 5 OpenDirectory. I'm want to install OS X SEVER for a client however most of their actual computer are windows. can I easily add windows to a Opendirectory network and use Profile manager to register them?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 7, 2015 4:13 AM

6 replies

Dec 8, 2015 4:12 AM in response to eulolixa

Not natively you can't but you can with 3rd-Party tools such as pGina:

http://pgina.org/

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=330803&seqNum=2

http://blog.zwiegnet.com/linux-server/configure-pgina-windows-7-openldap-authent ication/

However your mileage may vary.

FWIW OS X Server would not be the ideal solution for the environment you're describing. If it was me I would use Windows Servers and Active Directory. This will cause few if any problems for the majority of your PC workstations with other services such as email, calendars etc. Assuming you're looking to provide these in addition to networked profiles? It really would be easier and simpler to administer in the long run for all your workstations regardless of platform.

My 2p.

Dec 8, 2015 4:56 AM in response to eulolixa

I would agree with everything Antonio said.

On the issue of Profile Manager this can only manage OS X i.e. Macs, and iOS i.e. iPhones, iPads, etc. It cannot manage Windows PCs. Windows PCs would normally use GPO i.e. Group Policy Objects which is part of Active Directory, as such even PGina would not help you with that.

Apart from setting up real Active Directory using real Windows servers another possibility is to setup a Linux server running SAMBA4. SAMBA4 can act as an Active Directory compatible server and this includes being able to define Group Policy Objects. It should be possible to connect Macs to a SAMBA4 server acting as an Active Directory server just as if it was a real Active Directory server.

Dec 10, 2015 3:57 AM in response to eulolixa

Thanks Antonio and John, in fact i want to provide IT service for small and medium company in my country and money is a big factor. I'm trying to bring something different than want the others are providing and with the big boom of IOS devices and some mac, i want to provide os x servers on mac minis.

do you know if Pgina works well on windows 8 and 10?

thanks

Dec 11, 2015 4:25 AM in response to eulolixa

". . . if PGina works well on Windows 8 and 10?

I think John and myself have already answered this in a concise way? Yes it does allow a successful network login (on Windows 7 which is what I used it for) but that's all it will do. Not tried it on Windows 8 or 10 because, for me, what would be the point when it's far easier to provide AD and Exchange instead.

As John has already mentioned you can't manage PCs with Profile Manager, but you can manage iOS devices (and OS X) without it. Depends on what you want to 'manage?'

I applaud your intention to try something different but in doing so you may be cutting off your nose to spite your face? Trying to save money is fine but not if it's going to cost you in the long run if it turns out the wrong IT solution was chosen. Search this forum as this question has been raised before and you'll see there are very good reasons why Microsoft's Server solutions are what most enterprises use. But if you want to pursue OS X Server in what you've presented here as a pre-dominantly Windows PC environment then you're going to have extend OS X Server with additional 3rd-Party products as well as, potentially, editing the registry on most if not all of your PCs for simple file sharing; purchasing potentially expensive 3rd-party Exchange-like mail server software etc as OS X Server's Mail Server offering is not as 'enterprise' as you might think it is; and there will be a need for you to learn new skills that may be beyond you?

And I've not even covered contacts and scheduling let alone Software Updates etc or anything else.

Now don't get me wrong I am an Apple Consultant and Apple technologies do work very well in a mostly or all Apple environment and wherever possible it's what I would advise but for you? I don't think so? No doubt there will be others who may add to this thread with their experiences either for or against. Ultimately it's how it works in your environment that determines what you end up doing. If you really want to do this then at the least set up a test environment first and see for yourself.

My 2p.

Dec 11, 2015 5:24 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

IMO both John and Antonio are spot-on.

If you are working as a consultant you have an ethical duty not to land your clients with systems that don't match their needs. I know it is difficult to turn down work but sometimes you have to. Consider trying to find a good local MS consultant who you can feel confident referring clients who need Windows solutions to. With any luck they will return the favour by pushing Mac work in your direction.

C.

Dec 15, 2015 7:28 AM in response to cdhw

i agree with all of you. Let me try to explain why I want to use Mac mini and open directory.

In my country, the small and medium companies normally don't opera with an integrated IT Solution.

i wanted to provide a less expensive solution to motivate them to start using the technology and prove them that they can be as productive as other companies

i Will study your suggestion of using AD. Maybe on a Mac mini.

Can i Bind windows pc to OS X SERVER 5 Open Directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.