Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5+ minute login times - osmessagetracing daemon?

Recently upgraded a server from Lion to El Capitan. I would have done a fresh install, but had enough configuration in place that it would have been a pain to start form scratch. Everything seems to be working well, except for login times. After entering the username and password, I'm left with a spinny wheel for about 5 minutes before the desktop draws. I created a fresh local admin user and this account has the same experience.

The one thing that seems a bit off is a user daemon called "com.apple.installer.osmessagetracing" that points to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSInstaller.framework, which runs whenever /var/db/.AppleDiagnosticsSetupDone is modified. Is this some remnant from the upgrade that could be causing the problem? I'll likely try disabling this daemon to see if it fixes the problem, but need to wait til afterhours.

Thanks for any tips.

Posted on Dec 7, 2015 9:45 AM

7 replies

Dec 8, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Linc Davis

This server doesn't do much. It's really just running a couple (very) minimal websites and sftp service for a user that's configured w/ a chroot jail. All of that seems to be working as intended, but these login times are definitely something new since the upgrade.

I posted the log over at pastebin. Let me know if you'd prefer it here. http://pastebin.com/qPkekgjy

After entering the user name and password, then hitting enter, the user name/pass fields disappear, the spinning wheel appears, then freezes for a brief second, then starts spinning again. And it will stay like that for a good 5-6 minutes. The log segment above captures that time period I think. Right around line 331, you'll see the time jump a bit; I think this is when the login process proceeds and I see the desktop shortly afterwards.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Feb 6, 2016 2:07 PM in response to Chris R.

Chris R. wrote:

Seeing similar long login times for a client system that was upgraded from ML to ElCap. This will be a little easier to troubleshoot I think since I'm not as worried about downtime.

One of the most common triggers for network delays involving OS X Server is an invalid DNS server configuration. To check that, launch Terminal.app from Applications > Utilities, and issue the following harmless diagnostic command, and see whether it indicates success, or that there are problems:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

Feb 6, 2016 4:13 PM in response to MrHoffman

Turns out the issue with the client was tied to the Sophos Cloud Endpoint software. After removing that, all was well. I forgot to mention the long login times were even with local users, not just mobile.

Re: changeip... That's usually the first thing I check when troubleshooting a server issue, but I haven't run it on that one in awhile, so I'll give it a shot. However, similarly, the login issues are even with local users, not just OD/network logins. It doesn't have Sophos installed, so it must be something else hanging up the login process.

5+ minute login times - osmessagetracing daemon?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.