Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to open a .cwk document with Pages

I'm having the same problem. Trying to open a .cwk document with Pages. I just followed the "Terminal" instructions to see if the document I'm trying to open is a 6 or a 5 and it is a 6. Pages will not open the document. I have tried the CTRL, Click and then "open with Pages", I've tried going into Pages and File - Open. Nothing works. Any suggestions?

Teresia

<Subject Edited by Host>

Posted on Dec 7, 2015 7:21 AM

2 replies

Dec 7, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Teresia Scott

Hello,

only the '09 version of iWork (and previous versions) can open AppleWorks files, i.e. Pages 09 must be able to open AppleWorks 6 word processing documents, Numbers 09 must be able to open AppleWorks 6 spreadsheet documents, ... but the newest versions of iWork 2013 will refuse to open them.

Note:

- normally, LibreOffice (free) can also open ClarisWorks and AppleWorks files (at least, if the formatting is not too complex)

Feb 4, 2016 1:51 PM in response to Teresia Scott

Are you aware that Apple Works 5 is still running very well on Windows 8? I got myself a cheap Windows box and whenever I need something from my thousands of old .cwk files, I put it in there and change it to an .rtf or .xls or .jpg - all well accepted in El Capitan.

In Botswana 20 years ago we usually used the educational version of Apple Works 5, which comes on one CD for both Windows and Macs. You might stii find some around at ebay.

Trying to open a .cwk document with Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.