Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java 8 Update 66 install fail

The Java 8 update 66 installer fails to complete. I downloaded the full installer from Java. After entering my PW for install, I deselect Yahoo option and press continue. Subsequent popup flashes on the screen and disappears and then nothing. I never get a success message and the panel shows older version. I have tried installing from fresh boot. After searching the Java forums, I have done a Java uninstall and reinstall fails. So now I have nothing.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 7, 2015 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2015 7:21 AM

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2015 7:21 AM in response to rantro

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan.

Jan 1, 2016 10:10 PM in response to charlieboysuffolk

I have the same problem on one of my Macs. Java 8 Update 66 installed fine on my other Macs. All are running OSX 10.11.2.

I'm stumped on what to try next for the one that fails. I've tried the recommendations in this thread. The problem doesn't seem to be isolated to a specific user account and starting in safe mode makes no difference. Puzzling.

Jan 2, 2016 6:57 AM in response to mac_usr_blr

I wish. I tried that, too, with no success. I even completely removed java using the procedure at https://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_uninstall_java.xml. I even tried reinstalling El Capitan and a fresh install of El Capitan with an external recovery disk made with DiskMaker X 5, then attempting to re-run the java installer. No luck there, either. I am hoping the next release of the installer might help things.

Jan 2, 2016 7:56 AM in response to mac_usr_blr

I just tried your suggestion. Downloaded both the JDK and JRE .dmg files from the oracle.com link you provided and ran the JDK first, then the JRE. Both installs went smoothly. Thanks so much for posting this information. Worked for me. After the installs, I quit my browser, then relaunched to run Verify Java and that confirmed the install went fine.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index-jsp-138363.html

This was a great tip, mac_usr_blr!

May 4, 2016 11:43 AM in response to Iholsbach

The JRE for OS X is a train wreck (it isn't much better on Windows; I've started installing only the JDK there as well; on Linux I use OpenJRE/OpenJDK and both work as expected); I install the JDK on all my OS X machines whether or not I use them for Java development. There are two reasons for this. The first is that the JRE doesn't seem to work on the command line for OS X (which is a nonstarter for me). The second is I can never figure out how to fully purge it short of restoring from a Time Machine backup (it leaves remnants all over the place; just run a find command and you'll see what I mean).

The Java 8 JDK on the other hand is super easy to remove. I set up a github project and open sourced my personal Java removal tool (it follows the advice published on Oracle's website as well as several stack overflow articles and some trial and error on my part). The script is called jclean.pl; it is located in the bin directory of this project. Checkout the README for some instructions. I hope it makes your management of Java on OS X easier.

https://github.com/isaki-x/osx-util

Java 8 Update 66 install fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.