Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP memory reduced during repair work, normally?

I took my macbook pro 2011 in to a busy Apple Store for repair work to the screen/case module, with no other presenting problem, and with 16 gb ram; however, upon return it had only 4 gb ram and the documentation identified "memory issue". This occurred some months ago, and I just noticed when my son asked why I did not have much memory in the unit, and I found out it had been taken out; I have all the documentation, and the items to be repaired were fixed/replaced, and the repair was done in a timely manner.

Six months before the repair the MacbookPro was run thru full diagnostic at the Apple store before going off the AppleCare 3 year warranty, and no issue occurred except weak battery. The difference in memory installed was not brought to my attention, and I was not given the original 16 gb chips which were in the MBP.

I find the manner in which this was handled to be disconcerting and feel I am owed 16gb memory. Is this process normal? Should I bring it to the attention of Apple, and if so, how? I do have all the documentation provided to Apple Store customers. I appreciate any guidance experienced users may be able to offer.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Trim and Hybrid HD

Posted on Dec 7, 2015 4:21 PM

6 replies

Dec 7, 2015 4:36 PM in response to ronaries

A MBP has two memory module slots. Presumably you installed two 8 GB DIMMs yourself because that's the only way to have 16 GB. There must now be either one 4 GB module or two 2 GB modules installed. Either way they should have returned your malfunctioning or inoperative RAM to you.

To determine what is installed use  (Apple menu) > About This Mac.

Dec 7, 2015 7:12 PM in response to John Galt

yes, there are 2 - 2 gb modules installed. My orig 16 gb were installed at orig purchase but not by Apple itself. I had no difficulty or malfunction with them. My Apple service work was on the replacement of the top/display case element due to physical separation. In the replacement of that item, the repair service replaced the optical drive and cable, the memory, and the display module....my guess is that the first 2 elements were damaged in the display module servicing process.

The memory change was not discussed at any time, nor was I given the removed memory modules (2 - 8 gb). Only recently was I commenting how slow it was to switch photos around and my son checked the memory.

Dec 7, 2015 9:38 PM in response to ronaries

Thanks. Not knowing the exact circumstances the following is what I think may have happened. Please bear in mind that I am not trying to defend what Apple did because it was impolite at best, but when you take a Mac for warranty repair their ultimate recourse is to restore it to the hardware configuration specified by their equipment warranty. That ultimate recourse would include replacing your Mac with a model equivalent in configuration and function to the one you bought.

In my opinion, before accepting your MBP for service what they should have done was to initially refuse service by advising you that it had been altered from its factory configuration, which could not have possibly been any more than 8 GB, and helpfully ask you to kindly replace its originally installed RAM first. That would eliminate any possible objection for warranty service. Memory is considered user-replaceable, and doing that does not invalidate any warranty.

I realize although plenty of people purchase Macs with the minimum memory configuration planning to upgrade it themselves for a significantly lower cost than what Apple charges, the fact that your MBP is specified for a maximum 8 GB memory is beyond dispute. Removing any nonconforming components so as to restore your Mac to operation is well within their warranty terms. It's considered polite to return those components to the customer, but I am certain that it is not required unless some overriding statute requiring them to do so takes precedence.

I also realize that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but you asked for guidance from experienced users and that's mine. You should definitely return to the store that performed the service, with all relevant documentation including the original invoice showing the MBP's original memory configuration, but in the end don't expect much more than a sympathetic ear and perhaps a token discount on your next purchase.

Please let me know how you resolve the dispute.

Dec 7, 2015 9:35 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for your reply. Its interesting how the service behavior is determined by Apple policy & procedure & specs. Factor outstanding here is that this was not a warranty repair - it was after Applecare warranty 6 months and I paid the flat fee charged for a major repair (case separating). (In fact, I had the system diagnosed shortly before it went off waranty and it was fine - except for battery replacement).

Yes, I do feel Apple should have returned the "issue" ram back - in fact, I would have gladly returned the 4gb "bench ram" used to service the system. However, I recognize that preferences differ, and they did return a working system for the agreed upon price - if less 12 gb ram. Still, I now need to open my system to install another $100 or so of ram - in fact, if faced with the charges up front, I'd have probably scrapped the system and alternatively invested in something newer.

I will present the documentation to Apples's service mgr next time I'm near the store - you are likely correct that nothing much will transpire. The case separation was based upon faulty glueing by the mfgr, and the ram issue likely upon predetermined service policies. Generally when I am dissatisfied like this, I do not continue my patronage with a vendor. While I prefer various features of the Mac, my experiences with Dell and Lenovo notebook ownership have been superior to it. I have found that Apple presents a burdensome amount of initial unit pricing, warranty cost, and then further repair costs for a full featured notebook.

Apr 29, 2016 5:34 PM in response to John Galt

Hi folks,

I just took my Macbook Pro mid 2012 in under Apple Care for a display issue. They ended up replacing the logic board and the 2 x 8 gig memory modules I installed several months ago with 2 x 4 gig memory modules per the original specification. They also gave me an envelope containing the 2 x 8 gig modules in the machine when I brought it in.

The notation on the memory said only 'issues'. I talked to a tech for a long time as I had run the onboard memory diagnostics on extended mode about 2 hours before I took it in and the memory passed. He said they run much more extensive tests that do the onboard diagnostics do, which is believable, and that they apparently had found an error. I pressed him about the same issue in this discussion and said I would be completely understanding if they needed to return my MBPro to factory maximum memory when replacing the main board to ensure they were giving me back a machine that is certified per their max memory spec and that they can, in turn, warranty. The tech insisted that it wasn't policy, that it was more likely that the memory had errors.

I called Crucial and talked this over with them. The service rep I talked with said, in short, that he has heard this story too many times to count and his recommendation was to replace the 2 x 8 gig memory modules, download Memtest86 and run it overnight - like 12 hours. This is because he's pretty certain that the downsizing was due to policy, not because of a fault. to be fair, he also cheerfully offered to ship me replacements, partly because something like 70% of the returned memory has no problems whatsoever and can then be resold.

So, I'm currently running Memtest86 for 20 passes (half way through the first at 30 min) and will see what happens....

Hope this is of some help to others....

MBP memory reduced during repair work, normally?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.