Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hp 6500 printer won't print on El Capitan

I have the hp 6500 A Plus printer. I've used it for several years and had problems on and off. The problems seem to be mounting lately.

I'm running OS X El Capitan. I uninstalled the printer from my iMac 21.5" Here are the stats on my imac.

3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Memory

I run the iMac on wifi so it is not hardwired.

I have the printer installed on my house wifi. My computer will not recognized the printer on the wifi system. When I try to plug the printer in, sometimes it is recognized, sometimes not. Recently, I downloaded an app for scanning (the scanning function has never worked reliably). Now the scanner works even when the computer does not recognized the printer on the list of printers and scanners.

The question has been raised about whether this printer might be supported by OS X . The printer software does come up automatically on the system when the printer is hardwired to my computer. But even when the software comes up and I install the printer, it will not print.

Any ideas?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 21.5 in, Late 2009

Posted on Dec 7, 2015 5:14 PM

1 reply

Dec 7, 2015 5:25 PM in response to marcel cat

The drivers (software) should show up in System Preferences > Printers & Scanners > Print

Since you uninstalled the printer you need to download v10.11 El Capitan compatible drivers > Printer and scanner software available for download for your Mac - Apple Support

HP offers drivers for OS X so your printer should work.

If you have problems with scanning, you can use the Image Capture app instead in your Applications folder.

Mac Basics: Using a scanner

hp 6500 printer won't print on El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.