Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't get music to play in my car when I have iPod touch connected via Bluetooth. I keep getting message says CONNECT TO WI FI TO PLAY MUSIC. Why doesn't it play via Bluetooth only?

hello..

I'm trying to play my iPod touch in my car via Bluetooth. The audio system in my car recognizes the iPod via Bluetooth. but, I can't get music to play. I keep getting a message on the iPod that reads CONNECT TO WI-FI TO PLAY MUSIC. There's obviously no Wi FI signal in my car, only Bluetooth. Why can't I get the iPod to play thru my audio system via the Bluetooth connection? Why does it keep insisting I need to connect to wi FI? How do I get it to play via Bluetooth connection? The Bluetooth is on in the car & on the iPod. It's synced up.

thank you in advance for help.

iPad 2

Posted on Dec 7, 2015 9:18 PM

7 replies

Dec 9, 2015 7:49 AM in response to Mishkapatches

Hi, Mishkapatches.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

This sounds like you may be an Apple Music subscriber and media has not been made available to listen offline. I would suggest taking a look at the article below. This will walk you through the process of downloading music from Apple Music directly to the device so that you can listen to music when not connected to an internet source.

Add music from the Apple Music catalog to your library on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC

Cheers

Dec 9, 2015 8:55 AM in response to jason269

Hi Jason..

thank you for your help. I had already transferred my entire iTunes library from my old desk top to the iPod. I've go to each album and MADE SONGS AVAILABLE OFFLINE.

Anither question....the iPod is now my only source for my iTunes library. God forbid if I was to lose or have it stolen, my library would be gone! I have approx 2600 dongs. Will those songs fit into my 16 gb iPad Air? I don't have all that many apps. Wold love to have a 2nd source for my albums. According to an article on macworld.co.uk I can store up to 3000 songs, but want to know if this is true and if so, will that amt take up all GB space left on the iPad?

THANK U

Dec 10, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Mishkapatches

Mishkapatches,

So is your music now playing in your vehicle when not connected to Wi-Fi? As an iOS device is not a storage device, I would recommend backing up your iTunes music library to some sort of external device. This is the recommended process if you have music in your library that was not purchased through iTunes. The article directly below will walk you through this process.

Back up your iTunes library by copying it to an external drive

If all of your music is purchased through iTunes, you do have the option to download your past purchases.

Download your past purchases

If you plan on staying an Apple Music subscriber you may want to make sure your music has been added to your Apple Music collection.

Add music from your own collection to your Apple Music library

Another option may be to utilize iTunes Match. There is a cost for this service however.

Subscribe to iTunes Match

In regard to your question about if your media would fit on another iOS device, it is possible. However, without seeing what type of media is in your library and what you have on your iPad, this is all hypothetical. Take a look at the article below in regard to how space is reported on an iOS device and how to view the size of your iTunes library on your computer via the Show Status Bar in the View option of iTunes as this may answer this question. Again, it is not recommended to use your iOS device as a storage device.

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

Cheers

Dec 10, 2015 4:16 PM in response to jason269

Hi Jason...

Yes my iPod is now playing beautifully in my car via Bluetooth! thank you for you help!

As far as backing up my library to an external device, I'm actually getting rid of my very old desktop where my library now is. I don't use that computer anymore, so that's why I transferred my library to the iPod. My solo computer is my IPad.

so, I assume the only type of external hard drive would need to be on a computer? That's an issue cause other than my desktop which I really want to dispose of (recycle) I only have the iPad.

but you say the iPod or iPad isn't a storage device.

ANy other suggestions on this from you?

THanks

I can't get music to play in my car when I have iPod touch connected via Bluetooth. I keep getting message says CONNECT TO WI FI TO PLAY MUSIC. Why doesn't it play via Bluetooth only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.