You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro mid 2012 13" Ram 16gb upgrade problems

HI,

i have just upgraded my mid 2012 MacBook Pro to 16gb using 2x 8gb ATech DDR3 12800 1600MHz and to start with everything was fine, booted up quickly etc.. But then all of a sudden about 5 mins into surfing the web the screen went blank and it started to restart itself. It has only done this since I put the new RAM in. Now it sometimes restarts its elf even when im not using it, very annoying!

i Have checked the system report and the new memory is being registered in the correct RAM slots, but it seems something somewhere else is going wrong.

my MacBook is fully updated to OS X El Capitan....I've read on similar threads that downgrading to OS X Yosemite might help????

another thought I had is that I've read that some people only swap one of the RAM chips, so I would have 1 of my original 2gb Ram chips and one 8gb upgraded chip, so having a total of 10gb which would be much better than my original 2x 2gb Ram.

has anyone had this same problem? I'm rather amateur with this sort of tech so any help would be great!

thanks

Edit

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Dec 8, 2015 2:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2015 3:56 AM

Hi,

I read on some apple community threads that the macbook mid 2012 can handle 16gb even though on the website only advertises 8gb as being the maximum.

I spoke to the retailer i bought the RAM off and he suggests 8gb being the maximum as well.

Has anyone successfully upgraded the macbook mid 2012 to 16gb?

Thanks

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2015 3:56 AM in response to Johnb-one

Hi,

I read on some apple community threads that the macbook mid 2012 can handle 16gb even though on the website only advertises 8gb as being the maximum.

I spoke to the retailer i bought the RAM off and he suggests 8gb being the maximum as well.

Has anyone successfully upgraded the macbook mid 2012 to 16gb?

Thanks

Dec 14, 2015 4:42 AM in response to Atko7

Apple issues specs for a computer that are accurate for when they are released and doesn’t edit them later to reflect changes in RAM manufacturing. When your computer was released 8GB was the max specced because 8GB chips weren’t yet being sold or weren’t deemed stable enough by Apple. That is no longer the case. Both Crucial Tech and OWC state your computer maxes out at 16GB. Those two vendors are my goto online vendors for RAM. As has already been stated, Macs are picky about RAM.

Dec 8, 2015 4:26 PM in response to Atko7

Macs are kinda fussy about the Ram they like. You are sure that your Mac can handle 16 gigs of ram fine, correct? You seem to have the correct type of ram for your machine, so no problem there. You might have got a bad stick of ram, by all means swap it with a known good stick of ram and see if that fixes your problem for right now. Apparently most MacBook Pro's can handle 16 gigs, so that's possible. You could try resetting the SMC and zapping the pram, how to do that can be found on Apple's support website or you could google it.

good luck

JB

Dec 14, 2015 5:56 AM in response to Atko7

I know nothing about the company. What I know do know is that you can take a dozen different brands of RAM all with the same specifications and some will be reliable while others aren’t. There’s a reason why the company I work for purchases RAM from 2 vendors only - because they sell RAM that can be depended on.

Sep 21, 2016 11:28 PM in response to Atko7

I have the same Macbook pro Mid-2012 13-inch , Non-retina.

I did an upgrade of 16gb. ram and 500gb. SSD and now my Macbook performs great.

better than new.

Apps open instantly.

Here are the parts i used.

Memory

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3L-12800-SODIMM-204-Pin-Memory/dp/B007B5S52C/re f=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1474525593&sr=8-16&keywords=16gb+mac+memory

SSD

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-OCZ-Trion-Internal-TRN150-25SAT3-240G/dp/B01B4NUK MY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474525687&sr=…

Dec 14, 2015 5:26 AM in response to dwb

Ok, so my 16gb chips should be good to go with my machine! When I installed the 8gb ram chips and turn it on and go to the 'about this mac' and then 'system report' the RAM registers correct as 8Gb in each slot. But then as i'm using it and without warning my macbook shuts down and when it restarts a message comes up saying the system unexpectedly shut down.

my ram chips are Atech. how does Atech compare?

Sep 21, 2016 3:02 AM in response to Atko7

Hi everyone,

I just signed up for the Community forum, so if I mess something up, please let me know.

So I just recieved my new 2x8GB Crucial Ram Bars to upgrade my mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13". I had a similar problem. After installing the new RAM I wasn't able to reboot the system. As suggested by kaz-k resetting the NVRAM enabled me to boot the system.

It started up the HDD and started beeping 3 times repeatedly. It seemed as if the Ram Bank 0 was damaged because the system would work with just the BANK 1 being used, BANK 0 empty. So I figured it was a system related issue, not the RAM bars' failure.

So my problem isn't 100% the same but similar. And since I wasn't able to boot my system and couldn't find anyone experiencing similar problems I fiugred I should try to spread the word. Maybe this is the wrong place, let me know. I just though it's good if the info is out there.

Regards

MacBook Pro mid 2012 13" Ram 16gb upgrade problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.