Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

People cannot hear me properly during calls.

I have an iPhone 6, have had it for over a year now and not too recently a problem has come up.

When I am talking to someone over the phone, they cannot seem to hear me properly and tell me that my voice is very quiet. I often have to repeat myself and/or yell into the phone, which, as you can tell, is very frustrating, inconvenient and ridiculous, especially when I am in public.

None of the solutions people have given on this site or other sites have helped me.

1. I checked if the microphone was being blocked. It was not.

2. I tested it (the microphone) out on recordings and videos... I could hear my voice perfectly well.

3. I tried calling someone on loudspeaker. No problem

4. I tried calling someone on skype (loudspeaker). No problem.

5. I checked settings... couldn't find anything related. I barely chaged anything in my settings anyway other than make certain things private.

6. I tried calling with a headset. No problem.

The only solution I haven't tried is a factory reset. That is the last thing I want to do because my iCloud is full and I do not want to go through the hair-ripping stress of retrieving my notes etc because the iCloud, App store and contact problems I faced early this year nearly drove me insane. Also, I have videos downloaded from Youtube on an app that I cannot retrieve if I do a factory reset, and have non-internet apps and games of which I cannot retrieve the saved data should I do the reset.

I really don't understand how it is possible for my microphone to be fine for everything except normal calls.

Please help me. I need to sort this out. I am schooling and it is so very inconvenient if I cannot contact my parents properly without being on loudspeaker or headset. I did go to a service centre but they wanted me to pay them an insane amount of money just so they can reset the phone for me. They provided no other help and overall seemed uninformed, as if a factory reset is their solution to any problem. 😠

Thanks so much.

-Moya

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2

Posted on Dec 9, 2015 4:28 AM

1 reply

Dec 10, 2015 12:54 PM in response to Moya Beanie

Hi Moya Beanie,
Sorry to hear that people are not able to hear you that well. Let's see what else can be done.
I want to say good job with the troubleshooting so far. Now you will not need to restore your iPhone but you may have a hardware issue and the best thing to do is contact Apple Support for further assistant. Take a look at the troubleshooting outline below to make sure that you have done everything possible before contacting Apple.
Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203792

Get help

If you still have issues after testing the microphone on your device, try these steps:

1. Unplug any accessory plugged into the headset jack.
  2. Avoid blocking the microphone and iSight mic with your fingers while holding the device or recording video.
  3. Remove screen protectors, films, or cases that cover the microphone, iSight mic, or iPhone receiver.
  4. Clear any debris from the microphones or iPhone receiver. Refer to the user guide for your device on microphone locations.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Make sure you have the latest version of iOS.

If you've tried these steps and people still can't hear you on phone or FaceTime calls, or Siri doesn’t hear your requests, contact Apple Support.

Take care

People cannot hear me properly during calls.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.