Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

with 10.11.2, Mac Pro 2013 will not wake up 4k displays after sleep like before.

I have installed 10.11.2 today and found the Mac Pro will not wake up the 4k displays connected to thunderbolt ports. I tried many kinds of 4k displays including u28e590d, u24e590d, p2716q etc, but none of them would wake up after sleep. the only resolution is to unplug and replug the thunderbolt (display port) cable to a different thunderbolt port.

those displays all work perfectly with 10.11 and 10.11.1.

Steps to Reproduce:

1: have a Mac Pro 2013, any configurations and install 10.11.2

2: plug a 4k display like u28e590d to thunderbolt port using mini-displayport cable.

3: let the Mac Pro go sleep

4: when press a key or click the mouse, the Mac Pro will wake up but the 4k display will not wake up.

anyone is experiencing the same problem?

Posted on Dec 9, 2015 1:25 AM

169 replies

Jan 11, 2017 7:19 AM in response to Ruoyu

I am having this issue as well. I have a Dell UP3017 hooked up with HDMI and a DELL U2417H hooked up with thunderbolt. I have them configured in different bays like apple suggest. I am running Sierra 10.12.2 (16C67). When machine goes to sleep UP3017 does not wake up and says USB port lost connection. U2417H wakes up immediately. I will have to unplug HDMI and plug back in for it to sometimes re-establish a connection. I tried the "Check un-check mirrored displays" That did work.

I am also having issues with shutting down the machine. I gets stuck and never actually shuts down. I will have to do a hard restart in the morning.

Dec 9, 2015 11:23 AM in response to Ruoyu

I have had this problem with every version of 10.x since I bought my Dell UP2414Q (24" 4K) in June of 2014.

It has always been intermittent without regard for the version of the OS. I have given up on sleeping it at all. I leave it on all day (w/ screensaver) and then push the power button once at night and once again in the morning. I leave my MacPro (late 2013) awake 24x7.

Dec 9, 2015 11:59 AM in response to Cody_G

I hear you. These 4K issues are a big mess and a headache for all of us unlucky MacPro owners. What really irks is that some of these displays are listed by Apple as "supported", but obviously aren't.

I originally bought my MacPro because I wanted desktop retina -- had I known that Apple was going to release the iMac 5K, I probably would have gone with that, seeing as I don't really need the brute power portion of the MacPro, but instead we are stuck out here floating in a "half-supported" world. Whose fault are these problems? Apple's or the display manufacturers or maybe even a poorly written spec. Who knows?

Ugh...

Dec 9, 2015 12:14 PM in response to Cody_G

Thank you for the reply, I found a temporary solution: unplug the cable and replug it into a DIFFERENT thunderbolt port.

I can confirm this problem was solved since 10.10.3 and 10.11.2 brings it back.

someone reported that pressing power button to awake Mac Pro will also turn on the display, but didn't work for me.

I have submitted a bug report to Apple but don't know if they will do anything for us.

Dec 9, 2015 12:22 PM in response to Ruoyu

I just found another solution:

(I have 6x 4k Displays, so I have been playing with them to find out a better solution for us)

if we have:

Magic touchpad 2, Magic mouse 2, magic keyboard 2 or a classic USB keyboard,

WE CAN JUST PRESS THE POWER BUTTON TO WAKE UP THE MAC PRO, THE DISPLAY WILL BE TURNED ON.

however, it didn't work with old Apple wireless mouse, keyboard and touchpad, I dont know why.

to recap:

solution 1: replug the mini display cable to a different thunderbolt port.

solution 2: use power button to wake up the Mac

I prefer the second solution 😀

with 10.11.2, Mac Pro 2013 will not wake up 4k displays after sleep like before.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.