Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home folder Creation problem solved (for me anyway)

I have had an issue where when I asked my server to create home folders it was not making them. I also tried all the usual things like removing the share, sudo createhomedir -a and even ran the combo updater on the server again all to no avail. Upon looking at another server that was creating home folders I found that when I selected Network in the Finder SideBar there was an alias of Servers. This alias on the working server showed an alias of the server HD and in turn showed the contents of that drive. On the server that was not working the Servers alias in Network was an alias of a white document and showed nothing.

What i had to do to fix this was to open Terminal and su to root, cd /automount, rm Servers and restart. When this was done going to Network in the sidebar and selecting Servers then showed an alias of my server HD which in turn showed the contents of the drive. I then used WGM to remove the network mount for home dir's and stopped sharing the folder. I then re-enabled the share and then set the home dir mount again. After this it succesfully created the home folders in that dir when asked to and I was then able to log in and manage the account.

I hope this is of some use to others...

regards Gary.

PowerBook G4 1.67 Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Nov 17, 2006 4:05 AM

6 replies

Home folder Creation problem solved (for me anyway)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.