Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Composer view credits alphabetically previous composer with first song of alphabetically next composer

I only use composers for classical music. This is a problem that affects some composers but not others. To be specific, I have several composers whose first names begin with A-C. Then I have the following: Delphin Jean Alard, Domenico Scarlatti, Edvard Grieg, etc. Starting with Alard, the last item listed under that composer actually belongs to Scarlatti; then, the last item listed under Scarlatti actually belongs to Grieg; then, the last item listed under Grieg actually belongs to the next composer, etc. etc. etc. Every once in a while, this problem "leapfrogs" over a composer, but for the most part it starts with the D's and goes through the end. What the heck is going on and how do I fix this?!

I'm using iTunes 12.3.1.23 on Win7 64-bit.

Posted on Dec 9, 2015 9:35 AM

6 replies

Dec 9, 2015 9:50 AM in response to jmlehrfeld

Put your library in the Songs view and turn on the Composer and Sort Composer fields. Ideally you want total consistency so that any particular value of Composer is associated with exactly one value for Sort Composer, and vice versa. iTunes is probably case-insensitive everywhere but I know that the iPod classic, for example, is not, and casing inconsistencies there could cause issues pairing up lists. Perhaps iTunes needs total casing consistency where composer is concerned too.

tt2

Dec 9, 2015 9:59 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, when I went into Song view and turned on the Composer and Sort Composer columns, I saw that Sort Composer wasn't filled in at all for any song that had a composer listed. So I don't think that's the problem. I started going through and just copying and pasting all composers into the Sort Composer field as well, but after finishing the A's I realized that, back in Song view, the Sort Composer field was still blank for the A's (I presume because the field is exactly equal to the composer field), so again I don't think this is the problem.

Composer view credits alphabetically previous composer with first song of alphabetically next composer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.