Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password issue - iMac not waking up or stopping screensaver

Hello,

My iMac has been acting weird for a while now, and I think I have finally spotted where the issue is coming from.

It's a password issue:

- I can't unlock the padlocks in system preferences nor can I in keychain. When I click on them, the dialog box doesn't come and the locks go from "authenticating" back to "click to make changes" within 5 seconds.

- When the computer goes into sleep mode, I can't wake it up. When I click on the keyboard or on the mouse, the computer makes the normal sound and the screen turns on, but instead of asking me for my PW, it goes back to sleep within 5 seconds.

- When the screen saver turns on, I can't turn it off. When I click on the keyboard or on the mouse, the screen saver stops, but instead of asking me for my PW, it goes back to screen saver mode within 5 seconds.

Also, I've discovered that this issue is somehow messing up with Time Machine. It simply won't backup. I've already posted 2 threads about the TM issue, still unresolved.

However, someone recommended that I download Onyx. When I installed it, my iMac asked me for my admin PW, and it worked. I immediately checked if I could unlock the padlocks in system prefs, and it worked as well. Then I checked Time Machine, and I could perform a full backup. It was like if my computer had remembered how to ask me for that PW, and that unblocked all the restrictions.

To be clear, at this point I hadn't ran the software yet, I had just installed it.

It's as if downloading and installing a software had forced the Mac to ask me for that PW, which fixed all the rest. Nevertheless, after everything was done, I rebooted and the problem came back.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Imac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 9, 2015 12:38 PM

10 replies

Dec 9, 2015 1:22 PM in response to Sacha_Music

• Resetting Password
    1. Shut down comp & wait a few minutes.
    2. Turn on & at the same time hold down the “command” & “R” keys.
    3. Next screen….. In the menu bar click on Utilities (NOT OS X UTILITIES)
    4. In the drop down menu, click on Terminal.
    5. In the terminal pop up small window: Type exactly—> resetpassword Hit return key.
    6. Reset password window will pop up. Follow the onscreen instructions to reset password. Make sure you select the admin account to reset the password.
    7. You can ignore the “keychain” pop up windows. Does not affect anything. You can do the keychain stuff at your leisure.
    8. Quit out of everything & restart your computer.
    9. Enter your new reset password.

=============================

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1544Resetting your keychain in Mac OS X
  • Keychain First Aid

User uploaded file

Dec 12, 2015 10:11 AM in response to Sacha_Music

Nope, no Restore partition until 10.7.0

1. Insert the Mac OS X 10.5 Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Utilities from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access the Menubar at top.

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Reset Password from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Reset Password.

Dec 13, 2015 10:53 AM in response to Sacha_Music

It would have to be a Retail 10.5 Disc or an exact one for your model if it came with 10.5

If is is NOT OSX 10.5.x Server & the drive has no errors, this hack can work...

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD...

http://theappleblog.com/2008/06/22/reset-os-x-password-without-an-os-x-cd/

It'll boot like a newly setup Mac, but all your stuff should still be there once filling out the stuff.

Admin Hack...

http://www.hackmac.org/?q=node/4

Starts up like the first time you buy a new Mac, but after filling in all that info again, you should have access to the computer and the other Users & files will still be there... give the new User a different name than an existing one.

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/03/how-to-reset-your-mac-os-x-password-withou t-an-installer-disc/

Password issue - iMac not waking up or stopping screensaver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.