Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After ios9.2 update my videos will not send through email

After updating my iphone 6 to iOS9.2 my videos will not send via email. When I take a video with my phone and I select to send it via email, it used to compress or something, as you would see the blue bar progress and the video I sent yesterday was 5MB. Now when I try the SAME video, it does not compress and tells me the video is too big to send via email (80MB). How do we fix this??????

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2, video was 720p & 1.02 mins

Posted on Dec 9, 2015 1:14 PM

22 replies

Dec 10, 2015 5:34 AM in response to ChrissyG.

I updated to 9.2 yesterday, took a video this morning, and discovered the same problem. I checked my camera settings: 1080p at 30fps, so not super high resolution. I haven't looked at that before but the camera photo app has always applied compression so that videos can be sent by email. I can send the 49 second video via the Message app but it weighs in at 99MB when I try to send through email. Videos used to get compressed down to something like 3 or 4 MB when I selected send as email.

It would be helpful to know if this is a bug (feature) for everyone or if it is particular to just some of us.

Dec 10, 2015 6:47 PM in response to ChrissyG.

I contacted Apple Chat support, They say this is a feature of 9.2 - Mail Drop for sending large files and so no need for compressed email attachments - rather than a bug. My reply was that this was not an improvement. Mail Drop as an option is fine, but as the only method it means the the cell data plan cost of sharing files has gone up by a factor of 20 for both sender and receiver. I wish I could downgrade back to 9.1 where I could send a compressed video as a less than 5MB file. The same video now uses 100MB of data. The chat person clearly understood why I was complaining and suggested providing feedback at apple.com/feedback.

Dec 10, 2015 6:53 PM in response to tvdihedral

Thank you for the information. I will submit feedback on this. That is ridiculous. I use email to send short videos to my husband in the military.. He has no way to use the mail drop. He is in the navy and stuck in the middle of the ocean and the only communication we regularly have is via his government email, where I could send short videos of the kids while he is deployed for 7-9 months so for Apple to take that away with no option to compress and send is outrageous. I will have to try to restore my phone back to iOS 9.1 as it will be horrible if I cannot send videos for the rest of deployment!!! Very upset. Thank you for the response!

Dec 12, 2015 5:05 AM in response to ChrissyG.

There is another post on the topic that is helpful

Try send attachment Fails instead of Mail Drop ios 9.2

If that link doesn't work the summary is that the post is complaining about the same issue - only mail drop and no compression - but says that if you start with a new email, press in the body of the email to get paste options, and choose attach a video then the video does get compressed for sending. I hope this helps!

Jan 2, 2016 7:17 PM in response to ChrissyG.

I had the same problem but I use the gmail app on my phone for sending email and when you go to attach a file to it, the only option you get is to send a photo (and only photos on your phone are displayed). I set up an iCloud account, paid extra for monthly storage, but still can't get Mail Drop to work.

In general, the 9.2 update seems to be a step back in terms of functionality for my phone: battery drains faster, I'm having problems consistently connecting to WiFi, and I can't send large files around without resorting to Mail Drop, which not everyone I'm sending them to uses and I personally can't get to work.

I have posted feedback at apple.com/feedback and I hope that enough people are inconvenienced by this issue so that Apple addresses it in the next update. I've had an iPhone since the first day they came out and this is the first time I'm seriously considering switching to something else.

Very frustrating.

Jan 3, 2016 8:51 AM in response to ChrissyG.

My iPhone 6 won't compress videos

I found a solution. Unfortunately, the restores I went through cost me some supposedly backed-up data. But at least I can email compressed videos again.

Check out this post, but basically, you can attach videos via e-mail (although that didn't work with one of my email accounts). Key is to press the right arrow for more options when attaching.

Jan 5, 2016 4:26 PM in response to ChrissyG.

i tried clicking the send anyway option with a video attachment

it sent a blank email but i think the attachment is saved somewhere in the mail app and i can't delete it because i deleted all my email accounts and cleared anything but my app still takes up almost 1 GB of space

does anyone know how to delete this and make the app take up less space?

After ios9.2 update my videos will not send through email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.