Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac IIci does nothing

got a Mac iici from a storage shed and it powered up didn't have a display though. I disassembled it to get the dirt stuck under the logic board but after putting back together it does nothing. No lights no fan and no sound. It just won't power up anymore! I checked all the connections and they were fine. i tried power button on the keyboard and the machine and nothing at all.

Posted on Dec 9, 2015 3:38 PM

7 replies

Dec 10, 2015 9:31 AM in response to Matthewlopez

To begin with, carry out a board inspection (see above); anything could have happened in connection with the disassembly. If this does not reveal anything, one would normally continue with various voltage and resistance measurements (using a multimeter). You may want to try a web search for known issues involving the power supply and the IIci startup or power control circuits.

Dec 11, 2015 1:45 AM in response to Matthewlopez

Hi,

In a situation like this, a slow "recondition" of electrolytic capacitors could possibly be one reason for the (temporarily?) positive result. It is not unusual to find leaking or bulging capacitors in need of replacement in old computers. It could also have been a thermal issue with another component or connection. Anyway, good to hear that the computer started up.

Dec 11, 2015 2:52 AM in response to Matthewlopez

Sometimes when the PRAM battery is dead, the computer may require

sitting there plugged into AC power awhile to energize the logic board.

Later model G4 Macs such as iMac G4 and some others have issue if

the clock or pram battery is dead and the computer sits unplugged. As

I've repaired several dozens of the older pre-G3/G4 Macs, I know and

at one point had been buying sacks of PRAM batteries (three types) at

good discount, for as little as 50¢ each by mail. Hard to find some of

those batteries now, and the sources I knew of have moved on...

When I had a room-full of some 80 macs restored, all of them were gifted

or donated to charity with software, system and applications, and hardware

with new batteries. {And then there are those capacitors...}

After near 300, I tended to shy away from rescuing more, to fix & give away. 😎

Mac IIci does nothing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.