Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't SIRI make calls on AT&T WiFi iPhone 6s ?

SIRI does NOT recognize AT&T WiFi in order to make phone calls. This occurs with both push-button, and "Hey, SIRI" modes.

1. AT&T WiFi works PERFECTLY with keypad and/or Contact dial phone calls. BTW: WiFi calls are very clear, and seem to have fewer dropout problems compared to cellular (just my experience).

2. SIRI works PERFECTLY to make calls on Cellular.

3. Something blocks SIRI from connecting to AT&T WiFi. SIRI either tries AT&T WiFi, gets bounced, or doesn't recognize it as a viable option. SIRI then goes to Cellular, which there is nothing to connect to. Or, SIRI simply defaults to Cellular immediately, ignoring AT&T WiFi all together.

4. Regardless, when Cellular is not available, but AT&T WiFi is, SIRI tells you: "...there's no service right now. Please try your phone call again when you have a better cellular connection."

I am experiencing this at my home, on a solid "n" WiFi network. Absolutely zero problems using iPhone 6s WiFi for email, Safari, or other online connection.

First noticed this with iOS 9.1 a month ago. It continues with 9.2.

Apparently this is NOT a known issue with Apple Support (online and in-store Genius folks). Worked with online support today, and did a full reset and restore. No change. Went to local Apple Store, where they suggested either a reset of the wireless, or complete wipe of the phone, then do setup from scratch as if a brand new iPhone 6s. Since I KNOW there is NOTHING wrong with the 6s wireless networking, and I wasn't eager to start all over, I passed on both options. My wife's iPhone 6s has EXACTLY the same problem. iOS upgrades to each respective 6s are done through different Macs, each currently running El Capitan 10.11.2.

The Genius at the store hinted that because of the very specific, and repeatable problem, occurring in different devices, that this "could" be software issue that has not happened enough to cause a blip on Apple's radar.

Any ideas?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2, 128GB

Posted on Dec 9, 2015 6:49 PM

12 replies

Dec 9, 2015 10:59 PM in response to Tom Volotta

That is a problem! Essentially, it sounds like a Siri software issue that has not been addressed. I'm saying that because both you and your wife are having the same issue.

Two things you could try:

1) Resetting your network settings - This will trash all wifi network data, so you will have to re-register your wifi passwords

General, Settings, Reset, Reset Network Settings

2) Turn on LTE Voice. Although WiFi and Cellular networks are two separate things it is worth a try. In General, Cellular, Enable LTE, check off Voice& Data. There is a small chance that may do something.

At least you can still make calls manually! Good luck and hopefully an update comes out that fixes your Siri problem if the items above do not resolve anything.

Dec 14, 2015 1:33 PM in response to alexc411

Reset WiFi network over the weekend. Actually, replaced old D-Link DIR-615 and DAP-1552 AP combo, with two Netgear R7000 (one is AP), turned off 2.4 radios, using 5GHz only. Obviously had to completely reset everything. Web and email noticeably faster with iPhone 6s ac.

AT&T WiFi Calling seems to operate more clearly on 5GHz.

But, SIRI (push button & "Hey SIRI") still does not seem to know the WiFi network exists (or SIRI doesn't like it). As before, iPhone 6s works perfectly fine on WiFi, calling through Contacts, Recents, VM Call Back and Keypad Dial. SIRI error message continues to tell me to call later when I have a better "cellular" connection. Wife's iPhone 6s also still has identical block.

I first noticed this some time ago with iOS 9.1. 9.2 didn't fix. 9.3 ?

Jan 22, 2016 3:29 AM in response to Tom Volotta

It doesnt just affect the 6S, I have exactly the same problem with my 5S. I to have been through the; backup, reset, restore routine with Apple support but with no success. I was also told that the phone has probably got a hardware fault and needs to be checked out by the 'experts' at an apple store. But reading the above suggests that is a waste of time. I have just updated to 9.2.1(13D15). It seems that I can use SIRI for everything except making a Call. I am in the UK and cellular provider is EE, their tech support recommended contacting Apple support.

Feb 9, 2016 8:43 PM in response to Nima-N

I am also having this same issue, and I am on Verizon. I have:

• shut the phone down and restarted
  • reset the network settings
  • tried only using cellular connections
  • tried using multiple WiFi networks

It's as though she cannot access anything related to my contact list, either. If I ask for phone numbers (just get the number of a contact, not dial it), emails, etc., there is a long pause and she says something to the effect of "there's a problem." (yeah, no **** 😝)

Everything else works, though... she will check the weather, conduct web searches for info, etc... just the contacts seem to be a problem.

Any help would be appreciated. This isn't a good feature to be missing if I have to make a call while driving...

Feb 12, 2016 10:23 AM in response to jjleblanc25

I have recently noticed that my Ipad (not cellular) and Iphone 5S have become 'linked' by WiFi presumably as a result of IOS updates. I now receive messages that automatically come through to the Ipad and also that I can answer calls on the Ipad. So I tried using Siri on the IPad to make a call through my iphone and guess what? it works fine. So answer this one Apple, how come I cant use Siri to make a call direct from my iPhone but can make a Siri call 'through' my iPhone from my iPad

Why doesn't SIRI make calls on AT&T WiFi iPhone 6s ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.