Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6, Hearing aids, car radio, bluetooth problem

iPhone 6, Hearing aids, car radio, Bluetooth problem

I recently purchased Kirkland S6 hearing aids and an iPhone 6. I also have a Kenwood DDX5902 radio in my car. The iPhone and the hearing aids work well together. The iPhone and the Kenwood work well together. my problem comes when I receive a phone call while I am in the car - the call goes to my hearing aids and not to the car radio. If I turn off my hearing aids (open the battery doors) the call will go to the car radio. If I unpair my hearing aids from the iPhone the calls will go to the radio, but I am not going to do that every time I get in the car (a suggestion from Apple by the way). My state only allows hands free devices so I cannot use my hearing aids and the phone microphone to take a call while driving. I can find no way to temporarily turn off the Bluetooth to my hearing aids. a visit to the Apple store was no help and a call with Apple tech support was no help. Do other people have this problem and what do you do to get around it? This seems like a serious flaw in the iPhone programming.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2

Posted on Dec 9, 2015 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2015 4:22 AM

I had the same issue with the calls coming to my hearing aids and not the car bluetooth which meant I had to pick up the iPhone to answer the call which is not legal.

iPhone6, Ford SYNC radio, ReSound Linx2.

I now have the calls going to my Ford SYNC radio with the following change to my iPhone6:

Settings > General > Accessibility >Hearing Aids > Hearing Aid Play Ringtones set to Off. I believe it is on by default. I no longer hear the phone ring in my hearing aids either in or out of the car which was a nice feature, but I do not have to change anything when I get in the car and the calls go to the Ford SYNC radio.

Before this I tried the following on the iPhone:

Settings > General > Accessibility >Hearing Aids > Audio Routing > Call Audio > Never Hearing Aids.

With this setting the calls always went to my Ford Sync radio but never to my hearing aids as the name of the setting indicates. Each time I got out of the car, I would have to turn it back to "Automatic" when I got in the car to "Never Hearing Aids." Easy to forget until the call comes to the phone.

With the Hearing Aid Play Ringtones set to off as indicated above I can leave this setting in Automatic.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2015 4:22 AM in response to jaywbee3

I had the same issue with the calls coming to my hearing aids and not the car bluetooth which meant I had to pick up the iPhone to answer the call which is not legal.

iPhone6, Ford SYNC radio, ReSound Linx2.

I now have the calls going to my Ford SYNC radio with the following change to my iPhone6:

Settings > General > Accessibility >Hearing Aids > Hearing Aid Play Ringtones set to Off. I believe it is on by default. I no longer hear the phone ring in my hearing aids either in or out of the car which was a nice feature, but I do not have to change anything when I get in the car and the calls go to the Ford SYNC radio.

Before this I tried the following on the iPhone:

Settings > General > Accessibility >Hearing Aids > Audio Routing > Call Audio > Never Hearing Aids.

With this setting the calls always went to my Ford Sync radio but never to my hearing aids as the name of the setting indicates. Each time I got out of the car, I would have to turn it back to "Automatic" when I got in the car to "Never Hearing Aids." Easy to forget until the call comes to the phone.

With the Hearing Aid Play Ringtones set to off as indicated above I can leave this setting in Automatic.

iPhone 6, Hearing aids, car radio, bluetooth problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.