Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot iTunes backup password, how to do now?

I accidentally deleted a few contacts and text messages on my iPhone 6S when cleaning up the device. I have backed up my iPhone a few days before. So I planned to restore the deleted items from the iTunes backup. However, when I restore my iPhone with iTunes, it asks me to input a password. I tried a few ones most used by myself but without any luck.

Is there any way to restore my iPhone from the iTunes backup?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Dec 10, 2015 12:15 AM

11 replies

Dec 10, 2015 12:22 AM in response to stefenchan

Hi there,

If you forgot your password for itunes encrypted backup the only thing you can do is to delete the encrypted backup Find and manage your iTunes backups - Apple Support.

After that just go on your iphone to settings - general - reset - reset all settings.

When you complete this steps you should be able to create new backup without encrypting or set up new password for encryption that you will know.

Hope it will help!

Dec 10, 2015 11:17 PM in response to dank93

dank93 wrote:

Hi there,

If you forgot your password for itunes encrypted backup the only thing you can do is to delete the encrypted backup Find and manage your iTunes backups - Apple Support.

After that just go on your iphone to settings - general - reset - reset all settings.

When you complete this steps you should be able to create new backup without encrypting or set up new password for encryption that you will know.

Hope it will help!

coz i need to restore a few items from that backup. I won't set a password on backup later but need to figure it out this time.

Dec 10, 2015 11:29 PM in response to Halenndaily

Halenndaily wrote:

You have to enter the the correct password to restore your iTunes backup, you will have no way unless you use the professional iTunes backup password recovery tool, As far as I know, iSeePassword iTunes backup password recovery tool did a great job in the field of the password recovery. I didn't try it but one of my friends used iSeePassword.

How about the success rate? I tested two similar programs but ended up to quit it as it takes too much on it.

Dec 10, 2015 11:59 PM in response to stefenchan

stefenchan wrote:

dank93 wrote:

Hi there,

Hope it will help!

coz i need to restore a few items from that backup. I won't set a password on backup later but need to figure it out this time.

There's no other way.

Feb 18, 2016 3:32 PM in response to stefenchan

Halenndaily is a spammer promoting software, probably shilled by the OP who posted the original question. I would ignore the whole thread. If you have a good password no password cracker will be able to crack it. You are better off guessing, using passwords that you have used in the past. To speed up the process uncheck "Encrypt Backup" in iTunes and you will be prompted immediately.

The one password cracker that has a chance is Elcomsoft's. It's professional quality, and intended for use by law enforcement, and priced accordingly. But the trial version will give you the first 2 characters of the password if it can be cracked.

Dec 30, 2016 3:40 PM in response to stefenchan

Hi.

I am responding to this thread as I had this issue today and I wanted to share my what I did to recover so others could also try that if they face the same issue before purchasing software to recover.

- look in your keychain access app, if you have that set to save your key passwords, it will be in that.

- try your device unlock pin code.. if you havent manually set/changed it then it is very likely it is this as a default setting

I hope this helps others as thankfully it helped me today.

thanks

Forgot iTunes backup password, how to do now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.