Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk drive will not accept CD or DVD

I have a MacBook Pro, OS version 10.6.8. The disk drive will not accept a CD or DVD. Thinking that maybe I left a disk in the drive, I tried to eject it, but the eject button does not eject anything. I have not tried to insert a disk for a long time, so don't know how long this might have been an issue without me realizing it. I have tried shutting down the computer and restarting, but this does not solve the problem. I researched using the Apple Hardware Test, but instructions say to insert the Applications Install Disc 2. Unfortunately, since I cannot insert a disk, I cannot approach the problem this way. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 10, 2015 9:11 AM

6 replies

Dec 10, 2015 10:48 AM in response to Wendy Schon

When you try to insert a disk, does it not allow you to do so. As it will not go in fully. Or it ejects it after you insert it. You can go to about this mac,) upper left corner of menu on the apple) then more info/ and serial ata. And see if it is recognized. You can also do this in disk utilities. If it feels like there is an obstruction in there, you may indeed have a disc in the drive. If there is a disc in there some of these idea's might help.http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/08/eject-a-stuck-dvd-from-your-macbook/

Dec 10, 2015 10:55 AM in response to my ginger

It will not allow me to insert a disk. It does not go in fully, not even halfway.

What should I look for in the more info/serial ata ? It says

Serial-ATA Device Tree

NVidia MCP79 AHCI

FUJITSU MHZ2320BH FFS G1

NVidia MCP79 AHCI

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS21N

Then there is lots of information about each of those items. Does some of this information indicate whether there is a disk in there or not?

Disk drive will not accept CD or DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.