Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer photos from Photos to Dropbox?

How can I transfer photos from Photos to Dropbox? I used to be able to simply drag them when I used iPhoto, but since upgrading to Photos it doesn't. Does anyone have any ideas, other than going back to iPhoto?

Thanks.

Kathy

iMac

Posted on Dec 10, 2015 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2015 8:42 AM

Photos interface is a little interesting….Up in the title bar there’s a set of arrows which switches us from years to collection and finally to moments. You cannot select a picture until you are in moments. Once you are in moments you can select a picture and can drag it to the desktop. However I suggest that rather than dragging from the desktop that you select the picture (or pictures) and then select Export from the File menu. Choosing this option lets you make some choices about the picture(s) including where you want to put them, whether you’d like to put them in a subfolder, and a couple other nice options.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2015 8:42 AM in response to katherinefromchevychase

Photos interface is a little interesting….Up in the title bar there’s a set of arrows which switches us from years to collection and finally to moments. You cannot select a picture until you are in moments. Once you are in moments you can select a picture and can drag it to the desktop. However I suggest that rather than dragging from the desktop that you select the picture (or pictures) and then select Export from the File menu. Choosing this option lets you make some choices about the picture(s) including where you want to put them, whether you’d like to put them in a subfolder, and a couple other nice options.

Dec 11, 2015 8:38 AM in response to dwb

Hi. That is helpful, but for some reason the only way I can get the photos from the "moments" section to dropbox is by first dragging them to the desktop then from the desktop to the dropbox file. Dropbox doesn't seem to recognize them when they come straight from "moments."

When I try to export photos, it is set up to export them to my desktop and I don't know how to export directly to dropbox. I'm sorry to be asking for more help, but do you know how I could set the export function to export to dropbox?

Thanks so much!

Kathy

Dec 11, 2015 8:52 AM in response to katherinefromchevychase

Well, you caught me out on the exporting - it does export only to the desktop - I could swear we could select where to export to.

As for dragging to DropBox - I can drag a photo into DropBox. I can drag a photo onto the DropBox icon in a Finder window’s sidebar. I don’t know why you cann’t. What happens if you create a new folder in DropBox, open it, and then drag photos into it?

Jul 11, 2016 3:44 PM in response to dwb

The key for me was the revelation that I had to be in Moments within Photo before I can drag whichever photos I want to move onto Desktop and from there into a Dropbox folder. THANKS! It took nearly an hour to get to this epiphanous point. Now I've just shared my 54th wedding album (>50MB) with family and friends. 🙂

Jul 12, 2016 12:01 PM in response to katherinefromchevychase

If you Option-click on any thumbnail in the library you can drag it to the Desktop and get the original version of the photo. Just clicking and dragging the thumbnail will give you the edited version or the preview version of the photo.

You should be able to drag and drop from anywhere in the library except from projects, i.e. books, slideshows, etc.

If you've enabled the iCloud Photo Library and have selected the option to have only optimized versions on your Mac then you'll have to download the full sized version from the iCloud Library before you can drag or export to the desktop.

User uploaded file

Nov 16, 2016 9:27 AM in response to Old Toad

Eureka !!!

I have found a way to transfer photos from my MacBookPro Photo Files directly to Dropbox !!!

Sign in to Dropbox.

Create and open a New Folder (or open old one).

At the top of the page, click on the UPLOAD icon. Your FINDER will open. Scroll down to PHOTOS and click. You will see your photos as small thumbnails and you just choose the ones you want. If you want to choose multiple photos, just hold down the COMMAND key while you are choosing multiple photos. Then when you are ready, click on the CHOOSE button. The photos will then begin uploading into the Dropbox folder.

Best of luck !!!

Nov 16, 2016 9:37 AM in response to katherinefromchevychase

Eureka !!!

I have found a way to transfer photos from my MacBookPro Photo file directly to Dropbox !!!

Sign in to Dropbox.

Create and open a New Folder (or open old one).

At the top of the page, click on the UPLOAD icon. Your FINDER will open. Scroll down to PHOTOS and click. You will see your photos as small thumbnails and you just choose the ones you want. If you want to choose multiple photos, just hold down the COMMAND key while you are choosing multiple photos. Then when you are ready, click on the CHOOSE button. The photos will then begin uploading into the Dropbox folder.

Best of luck !!!

The J Team

How to transfer photos from Photos to Dropbox?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.