Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor no longer wakes from sleep (10.11.2 update)

I have an external LG LED-LCD panel connected to my Mac Pro 2013 via HDMI.

No problems with display sleep at all before... but since updating to 10.11.2, it just does not wake from sleep and I have to force a reboot. I have since turned display sleep options off and I now use a password-protected screensaver instead (for security), and just switch my monitor off with the power button.

I had this problem also with Beta 2 and Beta 5 of 10.11.2. Both times I reverted back to 10.11.1 from Time Machine, hoping it would be fixed in the final release.

Before anyone says it, the following link is not welcome... I didn't come down in the last shower: If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected - Apple Support

It's definitely something that has changed in El Capitan 10.11.2. I now have a $10,000+ beast of a computer that can't put its own display to sleep 😝

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), Late 2013 model

Posted on Dec 10, 2015 7:27 PM

88 replies

Jun 16, 2017 1:19 AM in response to JosephSJC

Same issue, my gear:

• MBP Retina 13" late 2012
  • Eizo EV2450 connected via mini displayport
  • Dell U2414H connected via mini displayport
  • Accell DisplayPort/miniDisplayPort cable VESA certified ⚠ with proper connection
  • Newest OS X with all updates (Sierra)
  • Newest Windows 10 (creators update version)

Even with high quality brand monitor, and THE ONLY VESA CERTIFIED CABLE on the market his issue still appears.

I can reproduce the issue:

• After sleeping Mac and waking it. Sometimes reconnecting cable helps and sometimes Mac restart is needed.
  • Disconnecting/reconnecting cable. After reconnecting
  • Even changing resolution can trigger the issue!

It alawys look like the display is connected from the Mac perspective (settings says there are 2 displays, etc), and the display itself says "miniDisplayPort no connection" and is in standby.

This is not an OS X issue as the bug is apparent also on Windows 10 (checked via bootcamp).

This is not a display issue as I reproduced it on 2 different Dells and one EIZO.

In my opinion it's Thunderbolt firmware issue. Not sure if it's fixed at all in any version of the hardware.

Jan 11, 2017 7:06 PM in response to Steel911

I also have a EIZO EV3237 monitor that won't wake up after sleep with 10.12.2, connected to Mac Pro late 2013 with display port.

But after I turn on the "DP HPD Control" (by default from EIZO, it's Off), the monitor starts to wake up again after the sleep without any issue. To turn on/off of the "DP HPD Control" for EIZO EV3237, you can "long press the left most option button" for more than 3 seconds. You will see your monitor shows "DP HPD Control: ON".

Dec 15, 2017 12:23 PM in response to DaemoNZ

iMac iMac (21,5 tum, late 2013) OS X 10.10.5, external Apple LED Cinema Display.

Same issue here.. Second monitor does not wake. Sometimes. Or often.

Tried all the tricks in this long thread. Resetting, pulling plugs, pulling power cords to shut off and start monitor, screensaver, screensaver with password screen, you name it.

Sometimes one solution works for a while, but next day back to square one.

Is there a solution now?

Dec 11, 2015 1:22 PM in response to Weweuyyhgh

Yes I discovered the same thing last night... that turning off my monitor, it won't turn back on. Once again, I had to force a reboot. Quite frustrating, because now I have to just leave the monitor on 24/7 with the darkest screensaver I can find.

Wondering what the next step should be to log this a bug with Apple. Historically Apple neither confirm nor denies anything so a part of me thinks I'd be wasting my time. I'll dig around and see if I can find more information on the process that deals with display sleep.

EDIT: I am logging the bug via the developer portal, and I also logged the bug here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Dec 14, 2015 6:57 PM in response to DaemoNZ

Ditto - having same problem after 10.11.2 upgrade w/late 2013 Mac Pro. My TV not being recognized via HDMI through AVR unless both AVR and TV on during start up. And if I shut TV -- which I usually do if playing music via Mac Pro then connection is lost. Which ***** because I use the TV to select/play music via iTunes. So every time I want to go to another song or album, I need to re-boot met computer, which is pretty ridiculous.

Dec 14, 2015 9:22 PM in response to DaemoNZ

This works for me... I set up the bottom right (or any) hot-corner to shut down the display. When I have this problem and I suspect that the computer is actually awake and just not activating the monitor, I move the mouse into that corner of the monitor twice (with a two-second pause) and it seems to bring the computer/monitor combination back to life

(I haven't bothered trying to enter my password but you may need to log in blindly in order to get the hot corners to work but its late and I'm too annoyed to do any more testing)

Dec 19, 2015 7:58 PM in response to DaemoNZ

I have the exact same issue. MM-2011 with latest upgrade. I know the computer is working properly because I can remote in off my macbook and the screen shows up there, but there is no output on the HDMI that goes to my TV. My MacMini runs a media center which is now unusable

I know it's not the input on my receiver because other devices work, and I've tried multiple HDMI cables that do work on other devices.

Any solutions? I try a reboot and no joy. Trying to shutdown overnight.

will eventually try the things here:

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac - Apple Support

this has got to be a known bug..ugh!

Dec 20, 2015 9:28 AM in response to DaemoNZ

Having exact same issue, i have the Late 2013 Mac Pro, D500 cards, and two LU28D590DS/ZA Samsung 4k displays. I never see the boot screen and have to login blindly to FileVault, but sleep has not been an issue for a while. Now every time the monitors sleep, I have to reboot.... not so much a fan of this... I reported the bug to apple too so we will see if they fix it. Definitely started with 10.11.2

I can remote desktop in and use the machine no problem, so I know it is awake, just refuses to display to the connected monitors.

Thanks to everyone who posted here, I was at least received to see that it was not just me and some peculiar issue with my setup.

External monitor no longer wakes from sleep (10.11.2 update)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.