Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.2 Touch ID stopped working

I have an iPhone 6 Plus and recently upgraded to IOS 9.2. Unfortunately, the touch ID no longer works. I added a fingerprint, but using the new fingerprint doesn't work either. It was also very difficult to train the new fingerprint. Now apps like Amazon and Apple Pay don't work at all using the fingerprint. I tried resetting and have had no change. Any ideas?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2

Posted on Dec 11, 2015 1:59 AM

11 replies

Dec 13, 2015 6:50 AM in response to STANLEY JONES2

I'm having the same problem. I restored my iPhone 6 Plus as new, from an iCloud backup but nothing is working. I even erased all the fingerprint, and reset Touch ID. I even registered the same finger TWICE and nothing seems to work. And this has been happening since the release of iOS 9 . I never had this problem and it really is ruining my experience with my iPhone. Apple REALLY needs to fix this problem, ASAP!!!

Dec 18, 2015 8:21 PM in response to STANLEY JONES2

Since I've updated to iOS 9.2 , my new iPhone 6s is starting to have problems with touch ID too!!! I mean before the update touch ID was extremely fast and accurate now it's lagging or something , it delays too much recognising the fingerprint , or sometimes it does not responds S: , I don't want to restore settings , cause i do not have the password of my wifi network , does anyone can help me with =(?

Dec 22, 2015 2:15 AM in response to STANLEY JONES2

I have the same problem and it is really frustrating. My iPhone 6 Plus has iOS 9.2 installed. When I bought the iPhone Touch ID sensor was very fast and reliable. Now it is hard to unlock the phone. It takes sometimes seconds to unlock the phone. And most of the time the sensor detects my finger but the validation of my fingerprint fails. So I must try it again and again till I can unlock my phone. And once it stopped working completely. I had to turn of and on the iPhone again then it works.

I delete all phone settings data, rebooted the phone and all fingerprints have been learned by the software again.

Should I bring the iPhone back for a replacement or shall I wait for the next iOS update? I am not sure if the sensor is broken or if the iOS 9.x updates are the reason for it.

Jan 23, 2016 8:29 PM in response to Keith R Thompson

Keith R Thompson wrote:

I have the same problem on my iPhone 6 since ios 9,2. Currently using beta 9,3 and same problem. TouchID fails. Deleting fingerprints and redoing the set up works great but then TouchID still doesn't work.

You cannot discuss issues with beta software on the public forum. You need to report those through the link you have for participation in the beta program. Beta software should not be installed on a daily use device. Apple warns customers about that, and the fact they may encounter issues.

iOS 9.2 Touch ID stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.