Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep getting "Finish changing your pass..." notification

I'm using El Capitan. I recently reset my Apple ID password. I've cleared my keychain and logged out of iCloud and back in. Now at random times a day I get a notification with, "Finish changing your pass..." followed by, "Your passcode also protects access to data stored in iClo..." Then I have the option to click 'close' or 'Enter Passcode." It doesn't matter what I click, the notification goes away, nothing happens, then it pops up again in a few hours. See attached.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 11, 2015 6:32 AM

38 replies

Jan 10, 2017 6:22 PM in response to tim5700

Hello

Did you finally find a solution ?

I have the same issue after changing the password on my MacBook Login. I changed the OSX password login not the Apple ID cloud one so I do not understand why I get this pop-up again and again. Password on the Macbook (username login password) and Apple ID (cloud) are completely different matters I guess.

Thanks and Regards

Jan 11, 2017 7:55 AM in response to philoouu

@philoouu: No, I never found a solution. I worked with Apple Care for over nine months, during which time the issue was elevated to engineering, but never solved. The person I was working with said the problem was Apple's, not mine, and that "someday" it would just disappear with one of the OS updates. It did finally disappear, but for me it took nearly ten months. Sorry I don't have better news for you.

Feb 11, 2017 8:27 PM in response to tim5700

This is really unbelievable from Apple. All of us are Mac users for a reason.. and Apple is failing us. I believe they are just not telling the truth and the problem is structural in the software architecture. I am affected by this annoying request since more than 1 year. No matter what.., it keeps coming back. Do you really believe that all the other fellows here which have followed the solution escalating the issue with higher level Apple techs.. they were not supposed to find it? and..once found they did not share it here? Apple is not anymore what it use to be. That's it. Unfortunately it is the solution "least worst" and this is what it is. Time is arrived to call things with their name.

Dec 15, 2015 4:13 AM in response to tim5700

I ran through the following steps:

1. Logged out of iCloud on ALL my iDevices (iPhone, iPads).

2. Logged out of iCloud on my Macbook Pro and assigned a local password.

3. Reset my keychain & cleared old keychain files.

4. Updated to El Capitan 10.11.2.

5. Logged in to iCloud on my Macbook Pro.

6. Reset my security passcode in iCloud (six digit PIN).

7. Logged in to iCloud on my iDevices.

When I reboot and log in, I still get the "Finish changing your passcode" banner. I only get this on my Macbook Pro.

Need some help to make this go away. Thanks.

Dec 15, 2015 2:53 PM in response to tim5700

Hi tim5700,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities; I'm sorry to hear you are still having this issue. If you have gone through the above linked article completely without reaching a resolution or a direction for further troubleshooting, you may be better served by reaching out to one of Apple's other available resources for more direct assistance - https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action

Regards

Dec 21, 2015 1:43 PM in response to Sulaya

I opened a ticket with Apple support. It's been escalated. The last person I spoke to seemed to think it is less a config thing on my devices and more a problem with my iCloud account.

The last I heard from the support tech was Friday morning.

@Apple (Whoever is reading this). Is it possible for me to save everything in my iCloud, and then just completely wipe everything in it? Account settings, everything?

Keep getting "Finish changing your pass..." notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.