Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Call History Keeps Downloading.... From Where?

I am running 8.4.1 on my 5s and after every fresh restore, my call logs sync down to my device. For instance, at 10am on December 9, 2015 I did a reset of all settings and restore as new. I do NOT use iCloud backup, it is disabled. No call history appeared until 7:48pm, when I was notified on my lock screen with missed calls from 66 days ago. Does anyone know (for a fact) where this information comes from? And how to make it stop from syncing to the device?

User uploaded file

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Dec 11, 2015 10:13 AM

7 replies

Dec 14, 2015 6:23 AM in response to Winston Churchill

My entire call history logs come down, at least 6 months worth. When I delete each entry individually, another entry appears. This is not from FaceTime at all, that is disabled as well. I mainly do restores to re-calibrate the battery and because there are hiccups within iOS that seem to be resolved with a restore, although other hiccups are brought to light.

Any thoughts on where months, possibly years, worth of call history comes from? It's not KeyChain or iCloud Backups.

Dec 14, 2015 6:41 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I would say the original iPhone had software with better stability then the iPhones of today, because they had less features. My wife and I both have the 5s running 8.4.1 on AT&T. I can tell you our phones act differently when it comes to stock applications and daily use.

One example is that on the camera editing feature; I can fix my photos and send them to OneDrive/DropBox and edits are removed. My wife can edit her photos and send them to my OneDrive/DropBox and edits remain. Odd!

I can also tell you that her call history does NOT sync down when a restore happens to be done to her 5s, even though our devices are setup the exact same way for syncing purposes such contacts, notes, reminders, etc...

Somebody has to know where the call history syncs, just like "recents" when typing an email. I send to an email address one time, but it remains in the list after a restore. And no, the "recent" is NOT in my contact list.

Dec 16, 2015 12:56 PM in response to dubstir

So I did another restore for testing purposes and have concluded that call history in stored within KeyChain. I restored my device and kept KeyChain off for 1 1/2 days, no older history appeared (picture 1). I then enabled KeyChain and within 4 hours (same as before) I was alerted with missed calls from months back and call history reappeared (picture 2). If you look at picture 3, you can see how the dates are so sporadic, skipping days and weeks. It goes from yesterday to November 12, 2015.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

After all this, I "cleared" all call history and disabled KeyChain. I waited a few hours and a few restarts and re-enabled KeyChain. So far it's been 6 hours without call history returning.

Dec 18, 2015 10:16 AM in response to dubstir

So I RESTORED AS NEW my 5s again yesterday morning and set it up how I normally would (disabling iCloud backup and enabling KeyChain) and no call history has appeared as of now. It has been over 24 hours and if it would happen, it usually happened around the 4 hour mark.

At this point, I think it's safe to assume that KeyChain was the culprit. Even though KeyChain states it saves Passwords and Credit Cards, it also saves a WiFi SSID/Password connection history. With that said, I believe what I did (noted above) fixed this issue with call history. I will update if anything changes.

Call History Keeps Downloading.... From Where?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.