Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (mid 2010) "Disc not readable"

I have a Mac Mini (Mid 2010). I have inserted a data CD multiple times. Each time this error message pops up: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." I have ejected the disk and restarted my computer with no change. Are there any other trouble-shooting steps that I could perform?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 11, 2015 4:46 PM

3 replies

Dec 15, 2015 6:02 PM in response to hunterjt13

Probably 90% of optical drive read/write issues are due to a dirty lens. I have revived dozens of them by cleaning the lens.

Lens cleaning disks (particularly those with brushes) tend to be no-no for slot loading drives. They can jam the mechanism.

Many people have used "canned air" to blow the dust off. I find it not to be too effective. It seems to just blow the dust in the drive around where it then settles back onto the lens. It's worth a try. When using canned air, never tilt the can. Keep it vertical. First blow a quick burst with the nozzle tube away from the device incase there is in liquid in the tube. The idea is to NEVER let the liquid in the can blow into the drive. You just want the gas.

If you are comfortable disassembling your machine, the most effective way to clean the optical drive is to remove it from the machine, remove the top of the drive, and clean the lens. Not for the clumsy, inexperienced, faint of heart... it's easy to break something when fiddling around in a tightly packed machine. Ifixit has lots of guides on removing drives from a machine. Here is good explanation of cleaning the drive:

http://muzso.hu/2008/08/17/how-to-clean-the-lens-of-a-slot-loading-optical-drive -a-macbook-pros-superdrive

Then there is the "credit card" method. This works well, and many people (including me) have used it quite successfully. There is always the chance of breaking something by jamming a random whatsit into the drive... I always worry about snagging the edge of the lens holder and breaking it off, but it has never happened to me. I use a card that is a little thinner than a standard credit card, wrapped in a Kimwwipe, and 90%+ isopropyl alcohol (I use ultra-pure electronic grade alcohol that most people don't have access to, a friend of mine uses Everclear (190 proof booze))

How to clean a DVD Superdrive using a credit card !

One issue I had on an old MacBook Pro 15, early 2008 was the disk slot had a thin rubber membrane/dust shield/thingy covering it. The credit card technique pulled the membrane out of the machine. The rubber had deteriorated over the years.

Mac Mini (mid 2010) "Disc not readable"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.