You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install anything - user name field blank

Recently when I try to install anything that needs my permission, the username field and password fields are blank. It is usually auto-filled. I can't unlock the padlock. I was trying a combo update of El Capitan hoping a clean install would fix it but I need my username to do that.

User uploaded file

I thought the username was what is in this box below from Users and Groups (greyed out for privacy) but when I type that in the box wiggles and rejects it.

User uploaded file

I know my password is correct because I reset it in Terminal and it was successful. Is there a plist file in Library that could be corrupted?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dave B

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), 27 iMac i3 12GB, two 15 in RetMBPs,

Posted on Dec 11, 2015 4:41 PM

7 replies

Dec 11, 2015 5:10 PM in response to Dave B.

It looks like the above user is not an "administrator" type user, but just a "standard" user - the name you give the installer authorization window needs to be an 'administrator' type user. So you need to click on the "lock" icon at the bottom left of the "Users & Groups" Systems Preferences window and then give the password and then after that click on the "Allow user to administer this computer" checkbox and then try the install again.

It's rather odd that this was not already set as there should always be at least one administer type user - perhaps you've removed some of the other user info from the "Users & Groups" window. If so, that user that shows as "Administrator" should be the one used to do these special type of software installations.

Good luck...

Dec 11, 2015 5:27 PM in response to Dave B.

So you only have the one user installed on this El Capitan system? In other words did you hide other users that are in the Users & Groups window? If you didn't and you only have the one standard user, you need to install another user that is an 'administrator' type user. Now how you do that is a problem, as only admin type users can install other admin type users.

Dec 11, 2015 5:48 PM in response to DeepYogurt

Tried Terminal and the only other name I recognize is DaveB at the root line, but I have tried that numerous times. That's the name in Finder-> MacintoshHD-> Users. I suspect that's my Admin name but something is corrupted. I did find a webpage discussing SIP and how El Cap has tightened down on access to various places in the system.

Wondering how to show or reset myself as Admin. I'm the only user of this computer.

Dec 11, 2015 6:54 PM in response to Dave B.

It should not be possible to have a system without at least one admin type user - but it seems that is the state you're in (if indeed the DaveB is the only user -- are you certain of this???).

Even with the SIP enabled, it's possible to have a "root" user - do you? Can you do this (in a Terminal window):

sudo su

and then try your DaveB password? If you can, there is a way to create another user from the command line using "dscl" type commands. If you can't then I've no idea how to turn DaveB back into a "admin" type user without having the ability to use the "sudo" command.

How did you ever get into this state (without an admin user)? You couldn't have installed El Capitan without it. Any idea the last time you recall doing anything that would have needed to be an admin type user? Any idea how this might have changed? I don't think this is a simple "something got corrupted" type issue but not enough of an expert to know how the system could have gotten to this state without you're being aware of it. Very puzzling...

Can you try this command (in a Terminal window):

dscl . -read /Groups/admin

and then tell us what is shown for the "GroupMembership" line?

Can't install anything - user name field blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.