Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi continually drops after latest update install

Hey everyone, long time apple user, first time poster

So my wife and I have almost identical Macbook Air 13", however hers is Early 2015, mine is Early 2014. We have both updated to the latest version of OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 and ever since (two days ago), my wifi continually drops every 10-15 minutes, forcing me to turn the wifi off and back on. Wife's macbook does NOT have this issue, so it is not a router issue. I have however reset the router, shut down my computer and installed all latest updates. I've run diagnostics and had it monitor my wifi connection and it's dropped every 10-15 minutes like clock work.

Is there a file I can download that can revert my wifi settings?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Dec 12, 2015 3:29 AM

4 replies

Dec 13, 2015 12:29 PM in response to TerryNikop

Hello, TerryNikop.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I see you are experiencing an issue with Wi-Fi disconnecting on your MacBook Air. I would start with processing any firmware updates for your router and adjust the settings per the article below. You may also want to make sure that you aren't connected to a guest network and test changing between the 2.4 and 5 GHz options that most routers offer if available.

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

You may also want to try creating a new Wi-Fi location and then test to see if the network drops.

Using network locations (Mac OS X v10.6 and later)

Next, try creating a new user on your Mac and test to see if the behavior persists. Please let me know the results of these tests in your follow-up.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Cheers

Dec 13, 2015 12:55 PM in response to jason269

Hi there,

after upgrading from 10.11.1 to 10.11.2 I started experiencing this problem too. On my second Mac Book I still have 10.11.1 and no problems.

The same problem also arose today on two iOS-Devices (iPhone 6+, iPad Air 1) with the new iOS 9.2. On a third iOS-Device (iPhone 5S) still featuring iOS 9.1 I don't have that problem.

The devices all lose connectivity after the upgrade to the newest SW version. They can't connect to the network at all or for a very very short amount of time. Suprisingly though my iPhone 6+ (iOS 9.2) can connect to one of my access points but not the other, even though they are configured with the same WIFI settings. Both APs are from different vendors, one Fritz!Box 6490 Cable (no problem on the 6+. problems with all other devices running 10.11.2 or 9.2) and a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND. Both have the newest firmware revisions available.

None of the above 1st level troubleshooting guides posted above helped.

Would appreciate a fix 10.11.3 and 9.2.1 ASAP.

Best regards,

gcatellani

Wifi continually drops after latest update install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.