Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partitioning External Hard Drive

I have my Windows PC backed up on a 500GB external hard drive but only 46GB are used. I want to partition the drive so I can use the rest of it to back up my macbook air. How do I partition it without erasing the data that is on there? Do I just make one partition 46GB and the other 454GB? How do I know where on the drive the data is stored? Or will it automatically go into one partition? Thank you much!

MacBook Air, iOS 9.1

Posted on Dec 12, 2015 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2015 7:48 AM

How is this drive currently formatted? It will have to be a format that both Mac and the PC can use or you will have to install third party software if it is formatted NTFS. Time machine will work only on a Mac only format.

Your best option is to have separate drives for PC and Mac.

Ciao.

7 replies

Dec 12, 2015 8:00 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

It is a 500GB drive with only 49GB used so I don't want to buy another drive. The data is Windows which is why I want to partition-so I can format the rest for Mac. I won't be using my Windows computer anymore. I want 2 partitions. One either the data that is already there, the other to be formatted so I can back up my Mac to it.

Partitioning External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.