Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to backup font book

Is their a way to back up all my fonts that are in font book? Thanks for your help.

Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Nov 17, 2006 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2006 1:15 PM

Hi, k.

There are many ways to set up fonts in Font Book, but, assuming you've not done anything exotic, the folders and files in question are:

1. Macintosh HD > System > Library > Fonts folder (the /System/Library/Fonts directory).

2. Macintosh HD > Library > Fonts folder (the /Library/Fonts directory).

3. Your Home > Library > Fonts folder.

4. Your Home > Library > FontCollections folder, which saves any font collections or libraries you've defined in Font Book.

5. The Macintosh HD > System Folder > Library > Fonts folder for Classic (Mac OS 9) Fonts.

6. The file com.apple.FontBook.plist file in your Home > Library > Preferences folder. This is Font Book's preferences for your account.

Font book views the union of the fonts in folders 1 and 2 above as the Computer collection. Folder 3 is the User collection. Folder 5 is the Classic collection if you're running Mac OS 9 in Classic mode.

Rather than merely backing up one's fonts and Font Book collections/libraries, I recommend you backup everything regularly using a comprehensive Backup and Recovery solution. For advice on the backup and recovery solution I employ, see my "Backup and Recovery" FAQ.

Good luck!

😉 Dr. Smoke
Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X

---
Note: The information provided in the link(s) above is freely available. However, because I own The X Lab™, a commercial Web site to which some of these links point, the Apple Discussions Terms of Use require I include the following disclosure statement with this post:

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2006 1:15 PM in response to looopps

Hi, k.

There are many ways to set up fonts in Font Book, but, assuming you've not done anything exotic, the folders and files in question are:

1. Macintosh HD > System > Library > Fonts folder (the /System/Library/Fonts directory).

2. Macintosh HD > Library > Fonts folder (the /Library/Fonts directory).

3. Your Home > Library > Fonts folder.

4. Your Home > Library > FontCollections folder, which saves any font collections or libraries you've defined in Font Book.

5. The Macintosh HD > System Folder > Library > Fonts folder for Classic (Mac OS 9) Fonts.

6. The file com.apple.FontBook.plist file in your Home > Library > Preferences folder. This is Font Book's preferences for your account.

Font book views the union of the fonts in folders 1 and 2 above as the Computer collection. Folder 3 is the User collection. Folder 5 is the Classic collection if you're running Mac OS 9 in Classic mode.

Rather than merely backing up one's fonts and Font Book collections/libraries, I recommend you backup everything regularly using a comprehensive Backup and Recovery solution. For advice on the backup and recovery solution I employ, see my "Backup and Recovery" FAQ.

Good luck!

😉 Dr. Smoke
Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X

---
Note: The information provided in the link(s) above is freely available. However, because I own The X Lab™, a commercial Web site to which some of these links point, the Apple Discussions Terms of Use require I include the following disclosure statement with this post:

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

how to backup font book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.