Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cursor Trailing

I just bought a new MacBook Pro and have noticed that the cursor leaves a "trail" at times. I am not able to tell if this is a coincidence, but it seems to almost always occur after opening/using the Photos app. Is there anything that can be done to stop this? I am attaching a screen shot from a screen recording to better explain the issue. I also don't think this is hardware related because this is a replacement for one that I returned for the same issue. I did not use a back up and set up new.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Memory: 16 GB

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

OS X El Capitan 10.11.12

Posted on Dec 12, 2015 10:11 AM

8 replies

Feb 6, 2016 6:31 AM in response to AJ397

To all, I have figured this out and it was my doing. Let me explain. I took the machine in for repair and they tried replacing the display. No help. They tried again and replaced the display again AND the logic board. No help again. So I totally wiped the hard drive, clean installed OS El Capitan and all was fixed. So I started installing apps one and a time and running a test after each app install to see if it was a software conflict. Everything was going fine and then I ran across an app in my "apps to install folder" named "gfxCardStatus", link: https://gfx.io/switching.html , which is an app for switching between the onboard Intel Pro Graphics or the AMD Graphics. Also to tell it to use either one or the other. I froze in my tracks realizing that I did install this before. So I did NOT install it this time and all apps are installed now and everything is working properly! Do not install this and if you have installed it, remove all traces of it if you are having these mouse cursor trails problem. It seems this app is either old or does not play well with El Capitan. Don't really know what version of OS it does work with, but apparently not El Capitan.

Feb 6, 2016 6:57 AM in response to GreekGeek1157

I was not using gfxCardStatus. I also tried multiple erases and clean installs and the issue persisted in an out-of-box state. My issue was also occurring on the desktop and with included programs such as, Photos, iTunes, Safari, and Grapher. I'm glad you figured out the cause for the trails in your case though.

Aug 30, 2016 6:18 PM in response to Happy Rob

Happy Rob wrote:

I have exactly the same problem. Did you ever get a solution?

I was asked to turn off Automatic Graphics Switching (Set graphics performance on MacBook Pro - Apple Support. )

It did not help in my case, but I also use multiple accessibility features that may have been adding to the issue. I returned the 15in rMBP and bought a 13in rMBP and have not had an issue on this one yet. I had/have a case open with Apple Care, but have not heard anything since I returned the 15in rMBP. -AJ

Cursor Trailing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.