Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan killed my Imac

RE-installed from App Store to try and fix endless reboot attempts

got it to work until El Capitan puked again during Office update

option reboot from HD and Recovery 11.11.2 - FAIL

no ability to do Command arecovery - freezes on the gray screen

ditto for trying to boot in safe mode

no kextList in terminal

ABout to give up after 30 hours of re tries and go back to Microsoft

apple geniuses useless

HELP

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 12, 2015 2:11 PM

4 replies

Dec 13, 2015 9:10 AM in response to bobbylon

status report on the death rattle of my El Capitan infected Imac

after leaving the house for four hours, the ever present Apple Grey Screen of Death had disappeared. The machine was off

powered it up and it loaded fine. Used it for 2 hours last night and 2 hours this morning

then the interminable reboots started up again

Option + HD Macintosh = ever present Apple Grey Screen of Death

OPtion + HD Recovery = ever present Apple Grey Screen of Death

Command Recovery has stopped working on my Imac. is that a feature of El Capitan?

MY Imac came out of the coma for 4 hours. I am shocked I only got 4 years of reliability out of a Mac. I didn't have Microsoft Blue Screen of Death issues for about 8 years at a quarter of the cost

Dec 17, 2015 7:49 AM in response to Eric Root

None of these suggestions worked. Could not boot in safe mode. Could not ever get Command Recovery to display. Resetting the PRAM only changed the interminable reboots from Apple gray Screen of Death to Apple White Screen of Death

it has been suggested it is either a failing or failed hard drive. Could that be the issue?

if so that also infuriates me. It mean this Imac only lasted half the numbers of years my two PCs did

Jan 16, 2016 7:49 AM in response to bobbylon

I wish I had googled El Capitan killed my macbook (six months old). Start up disk is full now, I'm told. I had that happen before and learned that once that happens no amount of deleting files or calling Apple can save you. Cheaper to just buy a new one. Not everybody has problems I understand. But think about this: If I have bowl with one thousand M&M's and I throw in 50 poisoned ones: Would you like to eat one? So if you think 'most people upgrade without a problem' you are right. Most drunk drivers arrive home safe most of the time too.

El Capitan killed my Imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.