You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cancel button in App Store not working

I started to download the latest update for iTunes in App Store, but when I realized it would take more than 20 minutes I decided to cancel (I did this within the first 1-2 minutes of the update). I pressed the CANCEL button in the App Store many times but it did not respond at all.

Why provide a CANCEL button and then not permit the user to cancel? This has happened before during other updates; it's very annoying not to be able to cancel a simple software download.

Neil

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 12, 2015 3:43 PM

3 replies

Dec 12, 2015 4:11 PM in response to nbfazel65

Sorry I do not recall the exact size of the iTunes update, but it is not very big (perhaps 100MB or so?). If you were told this would take 20 minutes, then you either have a very slow or unreliable internet connection. That may well be responsible for the behavior you observed with the cancel button, as well as the use agreement behavior you cited on your other post:

User agreement following software update NOT emailed

Jan 24, 2016 4:55 PM in response to sberman

This is a serious issue if the Cancel button doesn't work. For example, just now, Apple Store app told me a new update to El Capitan was available. I started the download (please see the image attached), then clicked the Cancel button half a dozen times. It totally ignored me. Why provide a Cancel button and then ignore the user input? This is happened several times before. It makes me think that Cancel buttons are merely cosmetic.

Neil

User uploaded file

Cancel button in App Store not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.