Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get foreign accents on the iPad Pro Smart Keyboard?

iPad Pro Smart Keyboard, iOS 9.2

Posted on Dec 13, 2015 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2017 6:51 PM

Use the option () key on an Apple Smart Keyboard. For example, ⌥ p == π.

I've posted a gist of the option keys at Apple Smart Keyboard Special Characters and Accents · GitHub.

KeysCharacter
⌥ qœ
⌥ ⇧ qŒ
⌥ w
⌥ ⇧ w
⌥ e + aá, é, …
⌥ ⇧ e´
⌥ r®
⌥ ⇧ r
⌥ t
⌥ ⇧ tˇ
⌥ y¥
⌥ ⇧ yÁ
⌥ u + aä, ë, …
⌥ ⇧ u¨
⌥ i + aâ, ê, …
⌥ ⇧ iˆ
⌥ oø
⌥ ⇧ oØ
⌥ pπ
⌥ ⇧ p
⌥ [
⌥ ⇧ [
⌥ ]
⌥ ⇧ ]
⌥ \«
⌥ ⇧ \»
⌥ aå
⌥ ⇧ aÅ
⌥ sß
⌥ ⇧ sÍ
⌥ d
⌥ ⇧ dÎ
⌥ fƑ
⌥ ⇧ fÏ
⌥ g©
⌥ ⇧ g˝
⌥ h˙
⌥ ⇧ hÓ
⌥ jÔ
⌥ ⇧ jÔ
⌥ k˚
⌥ ⇧ k
⌥ l¬
⌥ ⇧ lÒ
⌥ ;
⌥ ⇧ ;Ú
⌥ 'æ
⌥ ⇧ 'Æ
⌥ zΩ
⌥ ⇧ z¸
⌥ x
⌥ ⇧ x˛
⌥ cç
⌥ ⇧ cÇ
⌥ v
⌥ ⇧ v
⌥ b
⌥ ⇧ bı
⌥ n + a, n, oã, ñ, õ
⌥ ⇧ n˜
⌥ mµ
⌥ ⇧ mÂ
⌥ ,
⌥ ⇧ ,¯
⌥ .
⌥ ⇧ .˘
⌥ /÷
⌥ ⇧ /¿
⌥ ` + aà, è, …
⌥ 1¡
⌥ ⇧ 1
⌥ 2
⌥ ⇧ 2
⌥ 3£
⌥ ⇧ 3
⌥ 4¢
⌥ ⇧ 4
⌥ 5
⌥ ⇧ 5
⌥ 6§
⌥ ⇧ 6
⌥ 7
⌥ ⇧ 7
⌥ 8
⌥ ⇧ 8°
⌥ 9ª
⌥ ⇧ 9·
⌥ 0º
⌥ ⇧ 0
⌥ -
⌥ ⇧ -
⌥ =
⌥ ⇧ =
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2017 6:51 PM in response to frenchnet

Use the option () key on an Apple Smart Keyboard. For example, ⌥ p == π.

I've posted a gist of the option keys at Apple Smart Keyboard Special Characters and Accents · GitHub.

KeysCharacter
⌥ qœ
⌥ ⇧ qŒ
⌥ w
⌥ ⇧ w
⌥ e + aá, é, …
⌥ ⇧ e´
⌥ r®
⌥ ⇧ r
⌥ t
⌥ ⇧ tˇ
⌥ y¥
⌥ ⇧ yÁ
⌥ u + aä, ë, …
⌥ ⇧ u¨
⌥ i + aâ, ê, …
⌥ ⇧ iˆ
⌥ oø
⌥ ⇧ oØ
⌥ pπ
⌥ ⇧ p
⌥ [
⌥ ⇧ [
⌥ ]
⌥ ⇧ ]
⌥ \«
⌥ ⇧ \»
⌥ aå
⌥ ⇧ aÅ
⌥ sß
⌥ ⇧ sÍ
⌥ d
⌥ ⇧ dÎ
⌥ fƑ
⌥ ⇧ fÏ
⌥ g©
⌥ ⇧ g˝
⌥ h˙
⌥ ⇧ hÓ
⌥ jÔ
⌥ ⇧ jÔ
⌥ k˚
⌥ ⇧ k
⌥ l¬
⌥ ⇧ lÒ
⌥ ;
⌥ ⇧ ;Ú
⌥ 'æ
⌥ ⇧ 'Æ
⌥ zΩ
⌥ ⇧ z¸
⌥ x
⌥ ⇧ x˛
⌥ cç
⌥ ⇧ cÇ
⌥ v
⌥ ⇧ v
⌥ b
⌥ ⇧ bı
⌥ n + a, n, oã, ñ, õ
⌥ ⇧ n˜
⌥ mµ
⌥ ⇧ mÂ
⌥ ,
⌥ ⇧ ,¯
⌥ .
⌥ ⇧ .˘
⌥ /÷
⌥ ⇧ /¿
⌥ ` + aà, è, …
⌥ 1¡
⌥ ⇧ 1
⌥ 2
⌥ ⇧ 2
⌥ 3£
⌥ ⇧ 3
⌥ 4¢
⌥ ⇧ 4
⌥ 5
⌥ ⇧ 5
⌥ 6§
⌥ ⇧ 6
⌥ 7
⌥ ⇧ 7
⌥ 8
⌥ ⇧ 8°
⌥ 9ª
⌥ ⇧ 9·
⌥ 0º
⌥ ⇧ 0
⌥ -
⌥ ⇧ -
⌥ =
⌥ ⇧ =

Jan 1, 2018 3:04 AM in response to frenchnet

ACCENT SAMPLE TEMPLATE
Acute ó Ó Option+E, V
Circumflex ô Ô Option+I, V
Grave ò Ò Option+`, V
Tilde õ Õ Option+N, V
Only works with "n,N,o,O,a,A"
Umlaut ö Ö Option+U, V

replace the V with any vowel. It's weird though that you cannot long press a vowel like on the software keyboard or on your mac(book)...

source:

http://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/mac/codemac/

PS. note to self, expand all answers before posting 🙂. Don't know why there isn't one of these answers marked as helpful, because they all are.

Jan 11, 2016 10:00 PM in response to frenchnet

First of all, make sure you have the right setting. Settings-keyboard-hardware keyboard and for every software keyboard you have, make sure you select English hardware keyboard, this allows you to have the dictionary for whatever language you are going to use, but the keyboard arrangement as the physical keyboard.

Second, when writing, select the language you need to write with accents and use "option+e+vowel"for this accents (á, é, í, ó, ú). For this same result you can use the key next to return+vowel.

Shint+key next to return+vowel will give you this (ä, ë, ï, ö, ü)

Option+N will give you Ñ

Those are the ones I've found so far and that's more than what I need for Spanish, keep trying combinations that kind of make sense for the language you are writing and see what works.

Apr 11, 2016 5:15 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

This is what I did to solve this problem.

In General>Keyboard>Keyboards (with an s at the end) I had English and when I clicked on it chose QWERTY and I added Spanish (Mexico) and also clicked on it and chose QWERTY.

Then I went back and chose Hardware Keyboard and here appear and English and a Spanish keyboard: then I clicked in English and chose U.S. and in the case of Spanish (Mexico) chose U.S.

Now I can access the accented characters and using the GLOBE key I can choose which spelling dictionary to use.

I hope this helps.

Aug 7, 2016 4:19 PM in response to Martyjuarez123

Thank you for the tips for getting á, é, etc., and à, è, etc. But I'm trying to type (Chinese) pinyin on my iPad, and I also need a couple more symbols for tone marks: a "horizontal bar" for first tone, as in qiān, and a "small v", as in qiǎn (and both of those for all vowel sounds); oh, and there are tones as well with "u + umlaut", as in lǚ. If I remove the Smart Keyboard I can get these by pressing and holding the keys on the iPad's virtual keyboard, but I haven't yet found a way to get them on the Smart Keyboard. Does anyone have any ideas?

(I know there are apps and alternate keyboards out there I can buy, but to me this seems like a pretty basic feature and one I can get with the virtual keyboard anyway - I feel like the iPad Pro should be able to do this, and I just haven't found the way yet.)

Thanks!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.