Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black and white vertical lines on screen

Hi!

I have a macbook air (13 inch, mid 2013), 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8gb 1600 MHz DDR3 and an Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536mb.

OS X Yosemite Version 10.10

Occasionally when I am using the laptop it will turn white, the screen will go fuzzy and a black and white block will appear in the middle of the screen.

I can still use programs but I can't see what i am doing.

The problem goes away temporarily when I close my laptop and open it back up again but then comes back shortly after that.

I've included a picture to show you what it looks like.

Thanks for any help!User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Dec 12, 2015 11:49 PM

3 replies

Dec 16, 2015 5:48 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I have a similar problem, only worse...

I bought a Macbook Air on July 2014, but did NOT buy the extended Apple Care. On October 2015 the display simply stopped functioning one given morning. Not even the Apple logo appears when switching on the computer. The screen goes from pitch black to vertical lines varying colors from grey to light blue. This happened only 3 months after warranty expired. I've tried NVRAM Memory reset, but it had no effect.

As I am currently in Brazil working, I had to take it to the local technical assistance, which sent me a quote for nearly US$1,000 to replace the display. This is pretty much what paid for the whole computer when bought it in Boca Raton, FL.

Will Apple do something to replace it or will I have to simply abandon the Macbook Air? I'm not willing to pay so much to fix it and I find it absurd that this happened only 3 months after warranty expired. If it was a minor problem, OK. But the screen not working like this in such a short time is unacceptable.

Here are a couple of pictures showing what the screen looks like:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dec 16, 2015 8:12 AM in response to brunopalacio

To replace a display is always an expensive proposition. Apple may do it for less but you do have a logistical problem. You might investigate what iFixit.com and Powerbookmedic.com may offer in terms of parts. They also have installation instructions. What you have to do is define if it is a display, display connection or a GPU problem. Each requires different parts.

Ciao.

Black and white vertical lines on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.