Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Preparing automatic repair" loop Windows 10

Hi all,

After searching for hours on google and here trying to find a solution Im writing here for your help or ideas on how to fix this problem.

I have imac 5K with windows 10 installed. Everything was working just great. Last night windows installed an automatic update and the nightmare began. After restarting my computer Windows 10 went to " Preparing automatic repair" after awhile a blue screen shows with windows options from which none seem to work.

Now the only thing that happens is that every time I restart Windows 10 it goes to "Preparing automatic repair" , after that a black screen and then the blue screen with Windows options ( Troubleshoot, Use a device, Continue to windows and Turn off your PC) Which none seem to do anything.

I dont want to lose important data on my Windows drive. And yes I am open to installing Windows all over again but without losing the data.

Yes I have a usb with Windows installed. I tried booting from it but I can´t seem to get to the Repair Windows option. All it lets me do is install windows again.

All the help is welcomed 🙂

Tina

Posted on Dec 13, 2015 7:56 AM

18 replies

Feb 9, 2016 2:05 PM in response to tinasoini

I'm having a similar problem.

I have a Late 2015 21.5" Retina 4K iMac, with a Core i7, 16GB RAM, and a 512GB Flash drive.

I had issues with installing Windows 10 on it originally, as a standard installation using Boot Camp Assistant just would not work and I ended up having to partition the drive with Disk Utility, install Windows 10 using an ISO burned to DVD, and then manually install the Boot Camp Windows Support Software.

(detailed here: Boot Camp & Win 10 on a 21.5" Retina 4K iMac? )

I booted into Windows 10 last week, for the first time in maybe a few weeks, to find that there were a selection of updates to install.

I downloaded and installed the updates, but after the system had restarted it then got stuck in a "preparing automatic repair" loop as in the OP.

In the end, I wiped the partition and re-installed Windows 10 the same way that I had successfully done originally (but with a newer ISO burned to DVD).

On the new installation, everything was going OK at first. It installed successfully, it updated successfully, it restarted successfully.

But... when I restarted the system after then finally installing the Windows Support Software after all the Windows updates, I then suffered the same "preparing automatic repair" loop as I had before 😟

"Preparing automatic repair" loop Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.