Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac iici problem

just got the video cable for my Macintosh iici and it has a problem. it has a floppy disk in it and when I turn it on you can hear everything start up like the hdd, floppy drive reading disk, and power supply. A few seconds later everything powers down exept the fan and power light. There is no picture on the screen but there is a start up sound.

Posted on Dec 13, 2015 12:36 PM

3 replies

Dec 14, 2015 8:14 AM in response to Matthewlopez

A remote diagnosis is difficult, but here are some things to try.

First of all, did you connect the cable from the portrait display (mentioned under your Need a video cable for Macintosh iici topic) to the built-in DB-15 video port of the Macintosh IIci, or is there a separate video card that was used for the monitor? Has this monitor been tested with another computer? Has the monitor ever displayed anything?

Do you have access to another monitor supported on the Macintosh IIci for a test?

If Nubus cards are installed, remove them before tests. Also, remove any RAM modules not required for the basic function of the computer.

Did you check the logic board battery voltage (3.6 V)? If necessary, replace the battery.

Any change if you disconnect the power to the internal hard disk drive or to the floppy drive? Have various DC voltages been measured with a multimeter (under different operating conditions)? Unusual sounds from the power supply?

Dec 14, 2015 12:46 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

I got the DB-15 cable and it is connected to the computer itself. I Don't have another monitor or another computer. there were no cards but I removed the ram. Unplugging the hard drive and floppy drive does nothing exept that i found out that the hard drive spins up then spins down after a few seconds On power up. The battery is dated 1989 so it's definitely dead do you think that's the problem? Also I don't have a multimeter but no unusual sounds from the power supply.

Dec 14, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Matthewlopez

>I got the DB-15 cable and it is connected to the computer itself.

Please note that RAM modules must be present (at least) in bank A if you connect a monitor to the built-in video port on a Macintosh IIci. The article http://lowendmac.com/ram/iici.shtml should provide you with additional information about rules concerning RAM.

>The battery is dated 1989 so it's definitely dead do you think that's the problem?

Difficult to say, but a low battery voltage could possibly affect the power control and startup circuits, so it would be wise to replace the battery. However, a problem like the one that you described could be related to many things, including a bad power supply or faulty electronic components (such as semiconductors and electrolytic capacitors) on the logic board.

>I don't have a multimeter

A multimeter does not have to be expensive. It can be very useful for troubleshooting logic boards (low-voltage DC and resistance measurements). A warning: do not try to open a power supply or a monitor (dangerous high voltages inside).

Mac iici problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.