Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation issue w/ Windows 10 on late 2015 27" retina iMac

I used boot camp and it installs windows 8.1 fine. When I upgrade to windows 10 from inside of windows 8.1 or try a clean install of windows 10 using boot camp, it gets to certain point and I see a black screen and it does not go any further. Why does Windows 8.1 install perfect but not windows 10? I have the model with the 1tb hard drive in it.

Posted on Dec 13, 2015 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2015 5:35 PM

I have the same model as you, and I've just spent the whole day trying to fix this, plus an hour on the phone with Apple support. Here is what I've learned.

Apple support agreed with me that the problem is most likely a bad display driver (AMD?) in the latest package of Boot Camp drivers. Unfortunately, Windows 10 compatibility for the late 2015 iMacs was only added last month, so there could easily still be bugs In the drivers. The result is that Windows can't turn on the display when Boot Camp drivers are running, but can when the default system drivers are running. This is why we could still install Windows and boot to the desktop at first (until Boot Camp installed drivers).

Support also suggested that the new El Capitan 10.11.2 update could have contributed to the bug, but wasn't sure about that.

In my experience, the following will not solve the problem:

• Resetting PRAM
  • Reinstalling Windows (the bad drivers do not get removed)
  • Using Windows System Restore
  • Installing Parallels (you still can't touch the drivers)

The only remaining possible solutions thay we discussed on the phone are:

• Get into Windows 10 safe mode (very difficult, unless you hard reboot and reset PRAM repeatedly) and uninstall the graphics adapter drivers, or install AMD's latest drivers
  • Delete your Windows partition, reinstall from scratch, and refuse Boot Camp driver installation when it comes up

If you try one of these solutions, please let us know if it works.

And if someone could please tell me how to guarantee being able to boot into Windows 10 safe mode, it would be greatly appreciated. For the record, F8 and shift-F8 are very unlikely to work.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2015 5:35 PM in response to lout73

I have the same model as you, and I've just spent the whole day trying to fix this, plus an hour on the phone with Apple support. Here is what I've learned.

Apple support agreed with me that the problem is most likely a bad display driver (AMD?) in the latest package of Boot Camp drivers. Unfortunately, Windows 10 compatibility for the late 2015 iMacs was only added last month, so there could easily still be bugs In the drivers. The result is that Windows can't turn on the display when Boot Camp drivers are running, but can when the default system drivers are running. This is why we could still install Windows and boot to the desktop at first (until Boot Camp installed drivers).

Support also suggested that the new El Capitan 10.11.2 update could have contributed to the bug, but wasn't sure about that.

In my experience, the following will not solve the problem:

• Resetting PRAM
  • Reinstalling Windows (the bad drivers do not get removed)
  • Using Windows System Restore
  • Installing Parallels (you still can't touch the drivers)

The only remaining possible solutions thay we discussed on the phone are:

• Get into Windows 10 safe mode (very difficult, unless you hard reboot and reset PRAM repeatedly) and uninstall the graphics adapter drivers, or install AMD's latest drivers
  • Delete your Windows partition, reinstall from scratch, and refuse Boot Camp driver installation when it comes up

If you try one of these solutions, please let us know if it works.

And if someone could please tell me how to guarantee being able to boot into Windows 10 safe mode, it would be greatly appreciated. For the record, F8 and shift-F8 are very unlikely to work.

Dec 13, 2015 6:39 PM in response to lout73

Do you have the Radeon M380?

I looked further into this on my end. I have the Radeon M380, but through safe mode I discovered that Boot Camp installed the driver for the Radeon HD 8950. Clearly not the right driver.

Unfortunately, I couldn't install any alternate drivers from AMD. Uninstalling the driver made it impossible to boot into Windows even in safe mode.

Dec 13, 2015 7:10 PM in response to Loner T

I believe it's the Radeon M380. I installed Win 10 via an ISO that I downloaded to my download folder. I did not copy it to a USB stick due to its size. Fat32 only supports a max 4gb file size. The Win 10 ISO is 4.02 GB. This exact same thing happened when I tried to upgrade Win 8.1 to Win 10 from the desktop. I got the black screen too. I did a clean install and also the upgrade method with the same result. I believe it has something to do with the video driver Installation, but I am not sure.

Dec 13, 2015 7:57 PM in response to lout73

1. If you already have W8.1 fully installed, and download the W10 ISO when running W8.1 and run the W10 setup.exe, you are running an upgrade. You already have W8.1 GPU drivers in place. These drivers are not compatible with W10 in general. W10 installer is supposed to switch to a generic video driver not dependent on the specific GPU. Most likely switching to the Intel GPU is where you are getting black screens from. Disconnect all external storage, hubs and run SMC and NVRAM reset. W8.1 must be fully updated before you run an in-place upgrade.

2. If running a W10 clean install (no previous Windows installation), the AMD driver does not come into the picture till BC drivers are installed, after you can log in and create an account. You should disconnect from the Internet after the Windows installation starts, otherwise you get updates from M$ which are WHQL drivers and these can cause problems. If the black screen comes up after the Account creation process is complete, it indicates a WHQL driver issue. BC drivers (from a USB or OSXRESERVED) must be in place prior to reboot otherwise GPU issues will occur.

3. You cannot put just the ISO on a USB and try to install W10, because a Windows PE (Preboot Environment) for a Mac does not exist. BC Assistant builds a USB which contains $WinPEDrivers$ which provides the proper GPU/BT environment to work. The same thing is done in OSXRESERVED.

4. Your 2014/2015 Macs are UEFI-compliant and can install W8.1/W10 directly from a W8.1/W10 installer (not an ISO) USB created on a Windows PC. If you unpack the ISO to a USB, you have problems as noted in #3.

Dec 14, 2015 11:44 AM in response to yskey

Please backup OS X, Windows and create a Windows System restore point. I would also recommend disabling Automatic updates and manually checking Windows Update every week. Each driver offered by Windows Update must be carefully screened.

Windows Update should also get smarter vis-a-vis drivers and using Vendor ID and Product ID better. Apple's hardware variants need to be clearly documented to avoid such issue. This is a known issue since the time Apple officially started supporting Windows.

Dec 14, 2015 4:07 PM in response to Loner T

This method worked 100%. The next issue I have is that my Apple wired keyboard numeric keypad under Windows 10 does not work. Also my magic mouse is not labeled as a magic mouse. How do I reinstall the bootcamp drivers over top of the ones it installed automatically? When I go to boot camp in osx, it prompts me to restore to a single volume which I do not want to do or I wipe the drive.

Installation issue w/ Windows 10 on late 2015 27" retina iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.