Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help with questions related to windows/bootcamp.

So, I understand the basics of bootcamp, but how would I buy windows, and how would it work? Like, I download the ISO file, run bootcamp, set it up, all that. Then the Mac boots into the windows, where you need to enter the product key. Do we just buy a product key from microsoft? Or do we have to buy a download version of windows, what would the differences between say, a download, a disk, and a flash drive, and how would we set that up with bootcamp, which method do we use the downloaded ISO version for?

Thank you!

iMac, iOS 9.2

Posted on Dec 13, 2015 9:15 PM

9 replies

Dec 13, 2015 9:22 PM in response to zaroxes

Please start at How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support .

Other links...

https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.0/

https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/controlpanel/5.1/

You can either buy a Product Key or download the ISO and then enter an existing Product Key (do not use OEM keys which are bundled with PCs).

You can download the Install media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home .

An ISO can be burnt to a physical DVD, if needed. Your Mac model will decide what specific type of installation media (ISO or DVD) it needs.

Dec 13, 2015 9:32 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you.

So, If I buy the windows download, I get the key, and after I have downloaded the ISO onto a flash drive, and boot up my mac into windows where it asks for the product key, I simply put it in and the windows set up continues and It does the download like that, or would I need to download it onto a disk or flash drive for it to work?

Dec 14, 2015 12:17 AM in response to zaroxes

1. Check System Requirements
  2. Some versions of Windows require a certain processor, and more hard drive space and memory (RAM) than others. Check the documentation that came with your copy of Windows to find out what you need. Then use System Information to see what your Mac currently has.
  3. Get a Windows disk image
  4. When you purchase Windows, it comes as a disk image file (ISO) that you download, or as an installation disc or USB flash drive. If your copy of Windows came on a DVD, you should create a disk image of it to work with Boot Camp. If your version of Windows came on a USB flash drive, you can download an ISO from Microsoft.
  5. Open Boot Camp Assistant
  6. Boot Camp Assistant guides you through installing Windows on your Mac. Open this app from the Utilities folder in the Applications folder and follow the onscreen instructions to automatically repartition your startup disk and download related software drivers for Windows. If you're prompted during installation, connect a blank USB flash drive.
  7. Format your Windows partition
  8. When you complete the assistant, your Mac restarts to the Windows installer. When you're asked where you want to install Windows, select the BOOTCAMP partition, then click Format.
  9. Install Windows
  10. Follow the onscreen prompts to finish your Windows installation.
  11. Restart your computer
  12. After Windows is installed, you can switch between OS X and Windows. Use the Startup Disk preference pane in OS X, or the Boot Camp system tray item in Windows to select your startup disk, then restart your computer.

Please help with questions related to windows/bootcamp.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.