Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.2 iCloud backup still not fixed!!!

So I've been plagued with the Backup could not be completed problem and I've been waiting for Apple to release a fix and I was happy to see this problem mentioned as one of the bugs dealt with in iOS 9.2, BUT it was not actually fixed!

Now my phone is not backed up at all after all Apple geniuses advised that I delete older backups from iCould and try again, my MacBook storage is too small to carry my 128gb iPhone backup and now if my phone dies for some reason all my life is gone with it, well most of it!

Tried backing up my iPhone to external storage but Apple won't let you do that cause we are freaking slaves and not free to do what we want, so now I hope they would finally listen and address this issue that has been mentioned many times before!!!!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2, 128 GB

Posted on Dec 13, 2015 9:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2015 4:25 AM

I have been going through the exact same thing. Have tried resetting network settings, signing out and back into iCloud, soft reset, changing what is being backed up, and recently before 9.2 deleting the old backup off iCloud. Now I'm in same situation have iPhone 6 Plus 9.2 128 GB with no icloud back up saying could not complete and last backup never! I did manage to get a backup to my iMac but really really don't want to do a factory reset and restore unless I'm for sure it will fix the problem.

Apple please help. You have acknowledged the problem but apparently the attempt to correct it with 9.2 did not work.

199 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2015 4:25 AM in response to omarfromcalgary

I have been going through the exact same thing. Have tried resetting network settings, signing out and back into iCloud, soft reset, changing what is being backed up, and recently before 9.2 deleting the old backup off iCloud. Now I'm in same situation have iPhone 6 Plus 9.2 128 GB with no icloud back up saying could not complete and last backup never! I did manage to get a backup to my iMac but really really don't want to do a factory reset and restore unless I'm for sure it will fix the problem.

Apple please help. You have acknowledged the problem but apparently the attempt to correct it with 9.2 did not work.

Dec 14, 2015 9:20 PM in response to AshDBash

I also have an iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB. When I noticed the last backup was October 7 I did everything I could to get it working, I even paid for 200 GB iCloud back up. Nothing has worked. On the weekend Apple tried to get me to factory reset and I also didn't want to. I did manage to get a couple of backups to my laptop including password and all apps. I have no choice now but continue to back up to a computer until the problem gets fixed.

Dec 20, 2015 12:32 AM in response to omarfromcalgary

Hi, I have the same iCloud backup problem and have had senior Apple advisers try to help to no avail.

I have been told to wait for the next update from iOS 9.2

If you are running out of disk space on your laptop and want to move the iphone backup file location an external drive you can make a file link (symbolic link) to that external drive.

Dec 18, 2015 5:15 PM in response to omarfromcalgary

An iTunes backup does NOT back up 128 GB. It backs up system settings and app data. That's it. A typical backup is under 5 GB. See: About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

Usually a backup failure is the result of an app with a corrupt database. To fix it you need to find the app and delete it, then reboot the phone. Usually the suspect app will be one that is not working right.

Dec 20, 2015 1:52 PM in response to omarfromcalgary

Not really; there are over a million iPhone apps in the app store, and it could be any one of them. When backing up to icloud make sure the phone is connected to power and has a strong WiFi connection.

Also try deleting any iTunes backups, then back up to iTunes. If the same error occurs there's data corruption on the phone, most likely in a 3rd party app.

To delete old backups, open iTunes Preferences, Devices panel, click on an update and click delete. Wait about 5 minutes for the deletion to finish.

Dec 20, 2015 3:18 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I Have done everything I can find to do across all the forums short of restoring from a backup. I have went through the list of apps and turned them all off non of them are within the backup. Have already deleted my old backup and tried multitude of other things as well. I still get the last backup could not be completed. For my situation it is not an app keeping it from backing up must be something else. I could try syncing to computer and restoring that method but like I have stated above I do not want to do that unless it is a sure fix. I'm hoping whoever Rez_uk spoke with actually knew there is a true fix from Apple and it is coming soon! Also want to say if you are backing up your photos to iCloud and not using iCloud Photo Library then a backup could be very large. Before doing iCloud Photo Library and pre ios9 Backup issues my backup was hovering around 27 GB Not 128 but a good chunk.

Dec 20, 2015 3:43 PM in response to AshDBash

Hi, I spoke to a senior adviser called Amanda. We tried the following:

1. Soft reset

2. Hard reset

3. Delete existing icloud backup

4. Turn off and on icloud backup

5. Turn off all App data for iCloud backup

6. Tried a different wireless network

7 Keeping the Backup session constantly open (i.e not letting the phone go to lock - getting desperate now I know)

All the above failed on iOS 9.2 with a fibre connection with 20Mb upload speed

I personally think it's a simple thing such as file name allocation. I asked the senior tech if there were any logs held at their end but they didn't know of any. There always is with disk arrays (cloud). If someone could port the icloud backup to Amazons AWS I'd give them a hug!

I am not going to try erasing my phone and restoring it, the risk reward is way too risky.

I am going to wait until the next iOS release and backup to my washing machine.

iOS 9.2 iCloud backup still not fixed!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.