Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a file for FTP

Hello!

I'm editing news stories on Final Cut 5 and need to FTP them to another city. Now, this may seem like a dumb question, but how do I make the appropriate file to send? Obviously I need to export it and correctly compress it but at the moment I can't seem to get it right. The first thing I did was export using compressor but I don't know how to make a file that has both audio and video. I end up with an MPEG2 file and a separate AIFF audio file. I think they would prefer a file that just plays both. Basically a file that a generic PC can play at broadcast quality.

Any ideas?

mac book pro

mac book pro

Posted on Nov 17, 2006 4:34 PM

8 replies

Nov 17, 2006 6:27 PM in response to pete_schnapps

You'll most likely want to go to file>export>quicktime conversion and as David said choose the appropriate format/codec (most likely a quicktime of some sort)

Another option would be to go through Compressor and make them an MPEG1. This will have both audio and video if you enable audio in the tab in compressor when you make the selection for MPEG1.

You'll definitely want to find out what type of file they need from you

Are you uploading this to them for broadcast? or is this a "check" file?
A several minute news story is going to be a very big file at broadcast quality and will take a long time to upload.

Dual 1Ghz G4 Quicksilver Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Nov 18, 2006 6:49 PM in response to David Harbsmeier

Export > Using Compressor

in compressor choose a high bitrate compression, either the 90 min DVD preset or a manual configuration
in the "Extras" tab of the settings window check the "Multiplexed" checkbox

that'll make a MTS file (MPEG-2 Transport Stream) which contains both audio and video ... unless they are playing the file out directly from a server which understands the format, they will have to demux the file on the other end.

Creating a file for FTP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.