Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Apple TV Vudu App

Does anyone know when/if Vudu will release an app compatible with the new Apple TV (2015)?

Or, if there are any apps compatible with the Ultraviolet (UV) user libraries?

Apple TV, iOS 9.1, null

Posted on Dec 14, 2015 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2017 9:41 AM

The App Store review guidelines don't do anything to prohibit the sale of apps like VUDU or Amazon Prime. As others have pointed out, they exist on iOS.

The limitation they place is that anything you sell in app must be done via in app purchase. This means a 30% cut if Prime sells a movie for instance. So, they could just disable in app purchases on the Apple TV app if they want users to be able to view content there. They aren't, because they want you to buy a firetv. It worked in my case, because I have both.

It *****, but Apple needs to charge for the use of their app hosting services, and Amazon needs to make money on content sales. They could ideally negotiate some type of deal, but neither has strong motivation to do so since they want users in their own ecosystem using their hardware and content.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2017 9:41 AM in response to nathan_h

The App Store review guidelines don't do anything to prohibit the sale of apps like VUDU or Amazon Prime. As others have pointed out, they exist on iOS.

The limitation they place is that anything you sell in app must be done via in app purchase. This means a 30% cut if Prime sells a movie for instance. So, they could just disable in app purchases on the Apple TV app if they want users to be able to view content there. They aren't, because they want you to buy a firetv. It worked in my case, because I have both.

It *****, but Apple needs to charge for the use of their app hosting services, and Amazon needs to make money on content sales. They could ideally negotiate some type of deal, but neither has strong motivation to do so since they want users in their own ecosystem using their hardware and content.

Apr 2, 2017 8:00 AM in response to affeking

Being someone who has experience with multiple devices and services I can say a VUDU app for apple TV would be nice, so would Amazon video. Just to be able to begin to merge services into one device, instead of having multiple devices.

However, with content moving toward 4k and more content being more widely available through different services. I think Apple has fallen behind here. I can access 4k content through VUDU, and Amazon through supported devices connected to a supported TV or projector. I also like VUDU's disc to digital feature where owning material on disc is only 2 bucks to convert to digital or 5 bucks to say go from DVD to HD. I think for me, I've decided to use itunes to buy music, audiobooks and apps, and while I have some TV and movies, I've decided to not depend on apple for those items, I've found better options personally.

Mar 4, 2016 6:12 PM in response to dSTeVek

No, similar to how there is no Amazon app, it appears to be a polite walled garden situation.

Amazon doesn't make money on hardware and happily have their software (eg, movies) consumable on any major device. Appears the resistance is from the Apple side.

Similar in concept to Amazon removing the Apple TV from their site, because the Apple TV doesn't allow Amazon to place a streaming app onto the Apple TV on favorable terms (eg akin to HBO).

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/amazon-apple-tv-chromecast/

Oct 21, 2016 2:25 AM in response to nathan_h

I am so upset at apple about this. I was a hardcore apple fan. The type that will recommend everyone they know to apple, but its things like this that make me seriously consider other platforms. I most prefer to watch apple movies&netflix but I am sometimes gifted Vudu movies as part of a promotion or there is a movie on prime I want to see. The fact that I cant even watch it with airplay really upsets me off and I am considering getting a Roku box.

Oct 22, 2016 4:11 PM in response to dSTeVek

Although the App may not currently exist onthe TV, you can download both Amazon and Vudo for the ipad...from there just use airplay to your tv. It's an extra step but it works beautifully. As we watch this video streaming space evolve i would imoagine Apple will eventually open up a bit. Frankly. i'd be happy to keep itunes as my one stop shop....but they don't meet one need I have that Vudo and UV have....and that is Disc to Digital....i have over 100 DVDs right now to upload digitally. And currently Vudu has a good deal-50% off if you conver 10+ DVDs.. 🙂 but 😟 for apple.

Nov 17, 2016 10:26 PM in response to dSTeVek

It would be nice if someone from Apple would chime in on here and offer a constructive solution. Allowing the top response to place the blame on VUDU, is not constructive. That post should be deleted. I would like to find out if using the VUDU app on an iPhone or iPad is to Airplay movies from VUDU to the Apple TV. I'll try it out and report back.

Nov 18, 2016 4:39 AM in response to Choosetoride

These are user to user forums. Apple don't comment, although there is a small team that may address unanswered posts with links to support documents. Apple set the terms for entry to their TV App Store. VUDU make an app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch which can AirPlay to Apple TV. They could presumably port their app to Apple TV relatively easily if they choose to do so. Whether Apple is blocking that app, or wants too high a cut from any sales that go through it, is between Apple and VUDU. Same with Amazon. If it isn't in the commercial interests of both parties to reach a compromise that works then it is no use blaming either side, that's just business.

tt2

Dec 7, 2016 8:55 AM in response to dSTeVek

Vodeligos- Les Miserables is from Universal... perhaps u got it on iTunes because I have over 200 digitals in my VUDU account and the only ones that show up on my AppleTV as "purchased" were iTunes promotions way back in the day or the more current collection of Marvel and others connected by Disney Movies Anywhere.

It really ***** that Apple/Walmart (VUDU is a Walmart company/service)can't swallow their pride and come to some kind of agreement to be able to PLAY Vudu content through an AppleTV without the need for screen mirroring or AirPlay from another device

New Apple TV Vudu App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.