Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri Not Working Correctly on 6s

Hey there,

I just got a 6s last week (had the 6 previously) and Siri hasn't been working well at all on this phone and I don't know if this is a known issue or maybe just me. It seems very spotty, certain tasks she does just fine, while others she gets caught on. I have the current iOS update (9.2 at the time of this being published), and this is an issue both when I'm connected to wifi (have tried on several networks) or using cellular data. These are some examples:

"Schedule lunch for tomorrow at noon"

"Okay, I've set up your lunch. Shall I scehdule it?"

"Yes"

*thinks for a minute*

"Sorry, Chris, I'm afraid I can't do that."

"Call Eric Thompson, mobile"

*thinks for a good minute*

"Sorry, I'm having trouble with the connection, please try again in a moment"

What's my Dad's cell phone number?"

*long delay*

"Uh oh, something's wrong, can you try again?"

But adversely,

"Do a web search for cookie recipes"

*split second*

"Here's what I found..."

"What's the weather like today?"

*split second*

"Okay, here's the weather..."

It seem like there is a pattern that issues come from things connected to my personal device (e.g. calendar, contacts) but standard queries (e.g. weather, web search, GPS directions) are no problem. Would love to know if this is a common issue and any ideas on what I might be able to do to correct it.

Thanks!

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2

Posted on Dec 14, 2015 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2017 2:03 AM

Try the following all-purpose steps for dealing with erratic device or sync behaviour. They assume that all of the content you want on the device is in your library ready for restoring. If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device first. I would also recommend you copy everything out of the camera roll if you haven't already.

1. Backup device. (To iTunes, over USB, with your laptop on power, make sure it doesn't sleep)
  2. Restore as a new device. (Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support)
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

Use an encrypted backup if you want to preserve passwords, Wi-Fi settings, web history and health data where appropriate. I also suggest syncing with a selection of playlists (unless you're using iCloud Music Library) rather than manually adding content as, if nothing else, the process above is easier to do if you ever have to go through it again.

tt2

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2017 2:03 AM in response to Maenalouri

Try the following all-purpose steps for dealing with erratic device or sync behaviour. They assume that all of the content you want on the device is in your library ready for restoring. If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device first. I would also recommend you copy everything out of the camera roll if you haven't already.

1. Backup device. (To iTunes, over USB, with your laptop on power, make sure it doesn't sleep)
  2. Restore as a new device. (Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support)
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

Use an encrypted backup if you want to preserve passwords, Wi-Fi settings, web history and health data where appropriate. I also suggest syncing with a selection of playlists (unless you're using iCloud Music Library) rather than manually adding content as, if nothing else, the process above is easier to do if you ever have to go through it again.

tt2

Feb 16, 2017 1:16 AM in response to giovarelli

I think Siri needs a major update...

I have an iPhone 7 and Siri never was able to understand me on this phone.

Whenever I launch Siri, she doesn't give me a chance to say/ask anything, just saying "Sorry, I didn't get that"

then patiently I press the mic button and yell 'Google', then she, if she gets it, ask what can I help you find.

Now for all of the examples below, I asked Siri to Google 'Breakfast at tiffany's'

Siri Got:

On the first attempt: 'Breakfast'

On the Second attempt: 'What's up bar'

On the third attempt: some contact she could find

On the fourth attempt: 'Cannot find Rob Futter in your contacts' (bare in mind, by this time I am googling 'breakfast at f****ng tiffany's')

on the fifth attempt: 'What happen'

by this time I have given up and used google's voice search and managed to find what I was looking the first time I asked. Apple PLEASE has a look at what google has done to make their voice prompts work so well, and PLEASE fix Siri or remove the feature from the phone because as it is now it doesn't work.

Mar 19, 2017 11:55 AM in response to giovarelli

I Agree. Siri appears to have gotten more stupid with time. If I ask for directions to a restaurant, I want the one 5 miles away and not 500. WWhen I say call xxx, I want Siri to call and not give contact info. WWhen I ask to call John Smith and it's in my address book as Jonathan or if I ask for Sidney kimmel cancer center and it's a tall Sidney Kimmel comprehensive cancer center, it should be smart enough to at least suggest if you mean the one with the full name. I've basically given up on Siri and Apple maps, google makes the suggestions. I'm not about to do a full restore and lose everything unless I knew for sure that a restore from backup would fix the problem.

Jul 10, 2017 4:54 AM in response to giovarelli

If siri is not functioning correctly, try: If your Siri's moving a bit slow, there's only one command you need. Tell Sirirestart,” and he'll (or she if on female voice, which everyone seems to be using now) effectively respring your iPhone's SpringBoard. The SpringBoard is the app that controls the iOS home screen. Commanding Siri to restart won't turn the phone itself off and on – only the operating system.

Sep 6, 2017 10:17 AM in response to saitharun006

saitharun006 wrote:

Iphone 5/5s/6/6s/7 Siri Problem Fixed!(ios 9/10) - YouTube

For everything to be fixed,just go open the link which connects you to youtube...that video clearly solves your problem because it worked for me too..100% working...

Or, you could just tell people to reset their network settings. Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

Inflicting that music on people is just ....wrong.

Dec 30, 2015 4:18 PM in response to giovarelli

Hey everyone,

I did a full wipe and restore from back up last night. Worked great until this morning. Now same exact problem. I asked her what the traffic would be like on the way to work, right after having her successfully text "my wife" and she did the long pause and said something was wrong. Did a quick restart, Hold Home and Power, and she worked correctly once to text my co-worker, then same problem. I NEED Siri!!!!!

Siri Not Working Correctly on 6s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.