Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete old timemachine/back up files from an old hard drive

I have not used a hard drive for time machine in several years (replaced it with 3TB model). I had some normal back up files on it and simply deleted the backups.backupdb folder. All but 7 mb deleted. I then filled the hard drive with other files. Now I want to delete those 7 mb.

I have told my mac to delete all locked files, not luck. I changed the permissions of the main folder, unlocked it and told the mac to do the same to all enclosing folders, no luck. I did the same for individual folders inside the backupdb folder, no luck.

I even dug deep into HD/system/library/coreservices folders and unlocked the the boot.efl and bootx files, and no luck deleting.

A safe boot didn't help.

Reformating the drive is now not an option as I have thousands of files loaded on this hard drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), SE, 605, 9500, PTP/G3 board,

Posted on Dec 14, 2015 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2015 9:48 AM

Trash – Can’t Empty or Move File To Trash

Trash FAQ

1 reply

How to delete old timemachine/back up files from an old hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.